PDA

View Full Version : Cannibal fly ?!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-17-2010, 02:38 AM
This fly spent about 20 minutes in the same place sucking the juice out of (what probably looks like) another fly.

Techs:
Nikon D300 + Nikkor 105mm VR micro
f/13, 1/60, off-camera flash.

Views welcome...

Jay Sheinfield
07-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Kaushik,

Nice details on the fly. Very sharp. Good BG with complimentary colors to the fly. Wondering how it would look without the light line under his back feet.

Susan Candelario
07-17-2010, 07:56 AM
The details on the fly is great, as well as the interaction, Kaushik. The OOF bg & fg are also good as well as the shape of what looks to me like a leaf. I too would like to see the lighter line toned down or removed.
Nice job!

Julie Kenward
07-18-2010, 08:05 AM
I think the line can work in both cases. Here, it does pull your attention to the fly but it does take the eye down the road to the front of the frame as well. If that were toned down a bit, it would still draw you in but maybe not move the eye back out.

Great crisp detail Kaushik. I also like the exact point to your DOF. Lovely composition, too - not too much green space - but just enough!

Roman Kurywczak
07-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Hey Kaushik,
Excellent advice given above! Tweak that and you've got a winner!!!

Anita Bower
07-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Interesting subject. I'm learning a lot about insects on this forum. Lovely colors, composition, light, details. I'm a fan of tight crops, and would probably crop some off top, bottom and right, but, it is fine as is.