PDA

View Full Version : Theme The Ultimate Price for Trespassing (very graphic)

Fabs Forns
07-16-2010, 06:39 PM
I can only find a logical explanation to this, and it is that this poor chick ventured into the adult's territory, and we've seen them (adults) gang up and beat chicks up with no mercy. I can't imagine this begin his own chick, but who knows. The chick got shaken to death and the episode lasted for about an hour. Needless to say we were really shocked to witness this.

Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens (mm): 840
ISO: 1000
Aperture: 11
Shutter: 1/500

David Thomasson
07-16-2010, 06:48 PM
I can only find a logical explanation to this, and it is that this poor chick ventured into the adult's territory, and we've seen them (adults) gang up and beat chicks up with no mercy. I can't imagine this begin his own chick, but who knows.

According to this account (http://books.google.com/books?id=B--yUHIvaKsC&pg=PA105&lpg=PA105&dq=skimmer+territorial+kill+chick&source=bl&ots=P8A4qSs0bn&sig=XxG166YNDNQpJPLdJu4yXjXefkU&hl=en&ei=He5ATNWJEIGB8gaMmKQF&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=skimmer%20territorial%20kill%20chick&f=false), the chick most likely wandered into the wrong territory.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4/skimmersb.jpg

Fabs Forns
07-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks, David, that's what we though. Brutal!!!!

Ramon M. Casares
07-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Sad moment? I wouldn´t know...
Great natural story here, wild, wild, wild.
Nice exposure control, and detail. Congrats my friend.

Alfred Forns
07-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the explanation Dave !!! At the end of the episode the adult left flying with the dead chick !! For a time I thought it was trying to eat it but not sure !!!

Excellent capture Fabs, like the separation and how well the poor chick is presented !!

Gen Benjamin
07-16-2010, 08:13 PM
We witnessed a similar incident last year at Nickerson beach, it was so very sad to watch. I know that nature has a broader way of seeing things than I am capable of but still it's hard to comprehend and even harder to witness.
Gen:(

Grace Scalzo
07-16-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't necessarily like to witness this, but I do believe that it is as it should be.

Very well photographed, Fabs.

Danny J Brown
07-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Wow -- that is brutal. Great catch, Fabs.

Simon Bennett
07-17-2010, 02:17 AM
Most interesting natural history well captured Fabs.

Ken Watkins
07-17-2010, 03:27 AM
At times nature is extremely brutal and this is one of them.

Whilst I cannot pretend to enjoy the image it is well captured and interesting to see.

Chris van Rooyen
07-17-2010, 04:27 AM
Great natural history moment captured well. Light was not perfect but the moment was definitely worth capturing

Axel Hildebrandt
07-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Brutal indeed, and thanks David for the excerpt, explains a lot.

The image has a slight green cast on my monitor.

Susan Candelario
07-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Hi Fabs,
Good capture of one of natures brutal and sad moments. We have witness this often at Nickerson, which was hard to see. Last year we saw a skimmer after killing the chick feed it to his own chick. It took his chick more than an hour to get the dead chick down. We thought it was going to choke. I did read that when this has taken place some chicks have choked to death. It was very disturbing to witness.

Krijn Trimbos
07-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Nature can be tough sometiimes! Great moment captured though....Love the pose of the adult and the way the chick is positioned in its beak looks dramatic. Agree with Axel on the greencast and would probably enhance the catchlight a bit more. Well done Fabs!

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Well you know me Fab and I can not imagine having been there but so interesting hoe nature takes care of the balance in many different ways. Incredible capture and thanks for all the background info. Your series has been awesome my friend !!!!

arash_hazeghi
07-17-2010, 02:27 PM
dramatic photo Fabs, haven't you heard nature is cruel!

Hendri Venter
07-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks for sharing this Fabs. Its brutal but thats nature...