PDA

View Full Version : flower bokeh

Allen Sparks
07-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Canon 7D, 300 f4 plus 1.4x TC, monopod
ISO 400, f11, 1/640s, EC -1/3

I rarely try for flower bokeh as an effect in itself so here is an attempt. I wasn't sure about the crop on this - my version here seems kind of centered but I was going for the maximum flower bokeh from the full frame shot. Any comments appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
07-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey Allen,
Well....with that kind of flower BG.....I don't care about the centered comp! Perhapssome off the bottom...eliminating the brownish spot on the RH side.....this also makes the comp feel more diagonal......but this is just a killer shot!:cheers:

Julie Kenward
07-16-2010, 01:27 PM
It IS a fabulous BG but it would have been even stronger if you had moved over to your left, putting the butterfly and flower more to the right third of the image. Nice control of the yellows. Wouldn't have minded a bit more DOF on the flower itself - the pinks are really softer than I would prefer.

Ken Childs
07-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Allen, the BG is awesome! I can understand why you didn't want to crop any of it away.

Here's my take on it. Besides the crop, I painted over the lighter petals with some of the pink from the darker petals. Selected the butterfly and used SH to lighten it up just a bit. Selected the orange spots and increased the saturation. Selected the face and eye and lightened, increased contrast and sharpened it a bit.

I'm not saying my way is better but it's what I would have done if it were my shot.

Was this shot at Meeman/Shelby?

Roman Kurywczak
07-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Ok Allen...they made me do it!!! I try not to comment on PP'ing....unless very obvious.....although I do admit....may have fell asleep at the wheel on this one....I think you can tweak this one in a billion directions....all of which are probably valid (thought the same as Ken in my initial response).....and even thought like Jules......so here is my take.....cropped....still horizontal.....flow improved IMO....S/H.....brought up wing a bit more even....B/C layer on petals.....down with brightness....although I suspect....OP was pretty close to as seen.
Here's the ultimate secret that Jules mentioned in a previous post....clicking the shutter is only the 1st step in digital photography....PP'ing.....does now play a major role. Think....from capture to print.....if you were a slide or film guy.....that is where we stand now!

Allen Sparks
07-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all the PPing suggestions and reworks! Gives me alot to think about and try.

Yes Ken, this was shot at Shelby Forest...thanks again for the tip!

Jonathan Ashton
07-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Very pleasing image(s) I like them all. I have not seen the butterfly so i would be interested to know which image is closest to the actual colours.
I have to admit I am a little confused over "flower boket", I thought boket was a generic term and referred to the OOF diffused background and it was related to the number of blades making the aperture.:confused:

Allen Sparks
07-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Hi Jonathan, you are probably right about the term "bokeh". I just meant the background in general. Sorry for any confusion.

This is a Spicebush Swallowtail which is a very dark black butterfly so my original is probably closest to the actual colors. We can say Ken and Roman's rework give it that nice rosy sunlit look...:)

Anita Bower
07-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Lovely colors and BG. I like Ken's tight crop, even though it removes some of the beautiful BG there is enough to complement the butterfly and flower. Roman's crop works also.