PDA

View Full Version : Project Interaction: Kingbird Rides a Hawk

Bill Jobes
07-15-2010, 11:31 PM
This Eastern Kingbird was buzzing the Red-tailed hawk in flight. Occasionally it would land on the hawk's back, and tap it on the head.

The birds were quite small in the frame, thus the crop was of necessity, severe.

Nikon D3
600 VR w/1.4 TC
1/2000
F/7.1
ISO 1250

C & C welcomed and always much-appreciated.

Steve Canuel
07-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Very cool shot Bill. Reminds me of an old barnstormer wingwalker.

Michael Hogan
07-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Bill, great shot especially with a large crop. Light was not the best though and it might be worth just toning down the sharp shadow on the hawks chin but that might ruin the even colour under the bird.

Great capture though

Michael

Hendri Venter
07-16-2010, 05:11 AM
This is way cool and very interesting Bill. Well done for getting the shot and IQ not too shabby for a large crop.

arash_hazeghi
07-16-2010, 05:39 AM
that is some interaction, hawk looks helpless. detail is not bad at all but there is some noise in the under wings. TFS

Bill Jobes
07-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks to all for the comments. Your critical observations are on-target and appreciated. :)

Lana Hays
07-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Bill
I always love these types of images.......like something from the time of dragons and sorcerers.....(ok...been watching too many movies again). A great view of all the action. My question is.......are you sure this is an Eastern Kingbird? The red on top of the head puzzles me.

Bill Jobes
07-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks, Lana !

I'm certain it's an Eastern Kingbird. The males have red crown feathers that are not always revealed, but are displayed when the bird is in full display or engaged in intense behavior, as seen here.

Sometimes the red feathers can be seen peeking out from under gray ones.

This particular bird seems to have a very full complement of the red feathers.

Lana Hays
07-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Bill
Thanks for the information. I have Eastern Kingbirds that nest out by my pond.....guess they've never gotten agitated like the one in your image. As the red cap is rarely seen.....makes this image even more valuable.

Markus Jais
07-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Awesome behavior and a fantastic shot. I like the pose of the smaller bird.

Markus

Danny J Brown
07-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks for sharing something we don't see everyday, for sure. A fun image, Bill.

DB

Richard Stern
07-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Great image, with the nice pose of the Kingbird and the rather helpless look of the R-TH. I might have cropped it a bit less severely, leaving more room at the sides, for better framing, and possibly higher iq as a result.

Richard

Fabs Forns
07-16-2010, 07:19 PM
OMG Bill, this is way too cool!!!!
I had never seen this so well portrayed, terrific interaction image, quite unique I'd say, thanks for sharing it!

Bill Jobes
07-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Thank you so much to all for the very generous comments.

And Fabs -- what can I say -- reading those words from you means a lot !

Thank you.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks, Lana !

I'm certain it's an Eastern Kingbird. The males have red crown feathers that are not always revealed, but are displayed when the bird is in full display or engaged in intense behavior, as seen here.

Sometimes the red feathers can be seen peeking out from under gray ones.

This particular bird seems to have a very full complement of the red feathers.

Cool capture and thanks for the explanation, the brown patch made me wonder, too.