PDA

View Full Version : Lichenscape

Bob Miller
07-15-2010, 03:59 PM
I was fascinated with the abstract elements I was finding in rocks while in Maine. What do you think?
Nikon D-300
1/5 sec at f16
90 mm Tamron Macro
ISO200
All comments welcome!

Roman Kurywczak
07-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey Bob,
I think you were onto something......but it doesn't appear as crisp as I would expect at f16. I think this needs to be razor sharp to be effective. I was going to suggest possibly toning down the whiter lichen on the right also.....but if the sharpness doesn't pop in ....that won't matter. Go back and check because I sometimes forget too!

Anita Bower
07-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Beautiful colors. I like your composition. I'll wait to see if the image comes in sharper.

Julie Kenward
07-15-2010, 08:29 PM
I totally agree with Roman. I've also found these interesting to photograph and they do have to be sharp to really pull the abstract quality off without a hitch. You did outstanding at seeing within the frame, though - I would hope to have cropped it exactly as you did.

Ed Cordes
07-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Seems like we all agree - the patterns are super, but it needs to be sharper. Since the lichen is all on the same plane - give or take - I wonder if shooting at f8, or even 5.6, could have given you enough DOF and also a shorter Shutter Speed to maintain sharpness and detail? A curves adjustment would also increase contrast and color saturation.

Ken Childs
07-16-2010, 09:43 AM
It's all been said so I can't really add any suggestions for improvement but I really like the concept you have going here.

I always have problems with getting good lichen shots. The subject looks so cool but when I look at my shots on the computer, they never match up with my expectations. :(

Bob Miller
07-16-2010, 04:18 PM
gave this another round of USM. Is this better?

Bob Miller
07-16-2010, 04:27 PM
OOps i think I may have posted the wrong one!:o So here is another try!