PDA

View Full Version : Interaction: First Time Airborn

Ken Lassman
07-15-2010, 01:32 PM
I watched this little guy trying to flap it's wings for 15 minutes...he was right in the adult's face....I was able to experiment with several settings...the sun was so bright and the light reflecting off the sand was definitely a problem for me...when the chick turned away from the adult (assuming it was the mother), she nudged him upward with her beak and caused the chick to get off the ground... definitely not the best quality photo, but I think I witnessed the Skimmer chick's first flight, and thought it would be a cute project entry....where were the Wright Brothers when you need them?

Nikon D300
Nikon 300/2.8 plus 1.7X TC (500mm)
ISO 400
f/5 @ 1/5000
Manual, Hand Held and lying flat in the hot sand (and dying in the heat - no pun intended)

Fabs Forns
07-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Action is awesome! Light angle worked against you because part of the chicks face (eye) is in the shade and the belly is kinda bright. The adults in the image help give it a tight feeling, do you have any more canvas?

Ken Lassman
07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
I do Fabs....on both sides. top and bottom. I figured the less problem areas showing, the more concentration on the chick (and the less I would mess up processing :(). I decided to crop the right side and lessen the length of the adult's body, showing her head and beak....especially after witnessing her actually push the chick up in the air with her beak causing the chick to go airborn (and not believing I got the shot). What is your suggestion for where there should be more canvas ?
BTW, the following frames show the "crash landing" and a very shocked chick

Fabs Forns
07-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Ken, if not too conflictive, I'd add to the left and top. I'd love to see the crash :);)