PDA

View Full Version : Malachite Kingfisher

Ken Watkins
07-15-2010, 04:10 AM
Found this hiding away in bushes on the banks of one of the rivers feeding into Lake Kariba.
Large crop!

Taken from boat not moving too much. I presume that what appears to be oversharpened breast feathers results from a recent dip in the river?

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand-held

F5.6, ISO 800, 1/400

Axel Hildebrandt
07-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Sharpness and composition look good. I would make it darker, particularly the highlights.

Daniel Cadieux
07-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Yes, those feathers are surely wet from a previous dive. I like the perspective as we don't often see kingfishers from what a ppears to be a lower than eye-level perch. I suspect you blurred the BG though? I see an odd halo, or ghosting type artefact, around most of the KF and its perch - likely form masking or other post processing method.

Ken Watkins
07-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Daniel,

Looking at it again I did not do a very good job wth the blurring, in particular on the perch, which was below me. I'll have another go, thanks a lot

Axel,

Thanks for the comments on the whites, I missed that as well.

I would like to plead the excuse that this is the first reasonable image of a Malachite that I have ever taken, but that is not really a good enough excuse.

Stu Bowie
07-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Ken, these guys are so small, so I would take any shot of these guys. Colours look natural, as most tend to oversaturate the colours. Super pose too.

Fabs Forns
07-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Agree with Axel on the whirs. Other than blurring the BG, you could also drank a bot, especially the light branches, since they distract form the main subject. TFS, Ken.

Danny J Brown
07-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Hi Ken - Thanks for sharing a nice image of one of my favorite birds anywhere.

DB

Hendri Venter
07-16-2010, 06:09 AM
I like the pose and detail. Pity the busy BG though but not much you could do about that.

Ken Watkins
07-16-2010, 07:34 AM
I have tried again being a lot more careful and taking into account all of the suggestions you have kindly provided, it certainly looks a lot better to me, but I have to admit failure in darkening the white feathers.