PDA

View Full Version : 7000th Post

Roman Kurywczak
07-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Figured I'd share my 7000th post with the macro crew!

This was from Longwood gardens a month or so ago. I find the delicate yellow flowers to be some of the toughest to get all the fine textures......I wish they let me bring waders so I could jump in;)......I'm working on it!
Canon 1D Mark lll at f32 for 1/200 sec and ISO 320. MT 24 twin lights at 0...all hand held.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-14-2010, 01:26 PM
You did capture the texture very nicely. Neat how they dye the water black. Couldn't ask for a better BG.

Jay Sheinfield
07-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Roman.

Wonderful image. Yellows are tough to get right, you did! Great detail in the lily. I like how the pads nicely surround the flower in the comp. Nice colors. Sharp edge to edge. Great lighting. I first though of nudging the flower a bit to the right, but maybe not, I like the diagonal between the two pads and flower. Great work. BTW, what is that bullet shape hanging off the lower left flower pedal,

Cheers,

Jay

Allen Sparks
07-14-2010, 03:06 PM
wonderful tones and textures. really like the yellows too. For my taste it seems a tad dark. May try seeing what lightening the image does but it is great as is though.

arash_hazeghi
07-14-2010, 04:48 PM
very nice Roman, congrats :)

Ken Childs
07-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Looking good, Roman! The yellows look fine to me as they are. The flower does look flashed but I suppose you couldn't have got a decent HH shot without using your flash.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Congrats chief - on 7000 posts. Nice image to mark that !
Liked the reflection; would agree about the flash comment made by Ken.
Nevertheless - a fine image.

Anita Bower
07-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Congratulations on 7000 posts!!! Especially impressive as your posts are thoughtful, detailed and full of helpful suggestions. Thank you!
Lovely yellows here and nicely handled. The composition bothers me. The leaf to the right distracts me. I tried burning it, and find it looks better to me. I also burned to top leaves. Then I tried cropping it, which I liked, but that eliminated the reflection. Lovely flower, but not my favorite of your images.

Julie Kenward
07-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Happy 7000th post my friend! I like the two leaves in opposity corners (UL & LR) but not fond of the partial leaf at the URC. I do love the center of the lily but the yellows in the majority of the plant feel really flat to me. I keep wishing there was a little more contrast or "oomp" to them - maybe it's because they are so uniform in color and my eye is longing to see some lighter and some a bit deeper? I also find the little black thing on the edge of the reflected petal to be a tiny bit distracting. It's odd...for all the nitpicking I'm doing, I do like the image overall - just little things that are bugging me on this one. That said...you can see a real clarity here throughout the image and I really like that as well.

Ed Cordes
07-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Roman, I also have problems getting yellows right. you have done an excellent job here. I also love the reflection.

Roman Kurywczak
07-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks all! I did go darker with this......as I thought the yellows looked too washed out......may have gone overbaord:o! I do tend to like darker images so will revisit this one lighter!

Jonathan Ashton
07-17-2010, 03:02 AM
A super pic, love the colours and texture, a good choice to mark the 7,000th image. Doesn't look overtly flashed to me - it looks nicely balanced (??):2eyes2:

Roman Kurywczak
07-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks Jonathan! I like the rolling eyes too! I am going to eliminate the leaf on the URC at the very least.:D

Jonathan Ashton
07-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks Jonathan! I like the rolling eyes too! I am going to eliminate the leaf on the URC at the very least.:D
I think it looks fine! If it is removed you will have a big black empty space.;)

Charles Wesley
07-23-2010, 05:31 AM
Roman,

Like the way you went darker on your image for detail. I find Canon DSLR's have more problems with yellow and red. I'm not trying to be overly critical just helps to know so one can make excellent adjustments like you did.

Really like the saturation of the inner petals. Fine yellow on green helps with color contrast...

Thanks for sharing...