PDA

View Full Version : Iguazu Falls??

Don Hamilton Jr.
07-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Good Morning:
Question; does anyone have expereince with a visit to the falls. Do's and don'ts are appreciated. Brazil side or argentina side, or both ??. I'm judging an aviation Aerobatics contest, and thought about a side trip. Thks for any tips, or advice, on options, forphotography ops/
Don

Pam Handyside
07-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Don both sides are a must. On the Argentinian side you walk out and over numerous falls and then walk out across the boardwalk to the Devil's Throat from where you can look over the top and down the falls. From the Brazilian side you walk out to the bottom of the falls and look up. Absolutely spectacular! The power and volume of water is overwhelming. The amount of water that goes over those falls in one day would supply water to the whole of Australia for a month! There is also a boat trip that you can that goes under the falls - take waterproofing for your camera. Lots to photograph - the falls, birds and orchids. Do it all and have a great time!

Don Hamilton Jr.
07-15-2010, 06:00 AM
:2eyes2:Pam, huge thks for your time. Okay, sounds like ill need to pursue an Argentinian visa additional, or can you go across for the falls only without.
Did you use plastic bags for water proofing etc? Or some other commercial product?:o
What lens did you take and use? I'm thinking the 500mm would not be used enough to justify the weight, security, and hassle. :oThinking 100-400mm, and some wide angle lens.
Sounds like a worthy side trip for sure!:2eyes2:
Cheers:
Don

Stuart Hill
07-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi Don, I went 5 years ago. Amazing place, watch for the spiders, you'll understand soon! Take as wide a lens as you have would be my advice and do visit both sides. And enjoy your trip.

regards.
Stu.

Alfred Forns
07-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Don get some plane pics when your taking a break :)

Pam Handyside
07-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Don, don't know what the visa arrangements are for the country for where you are from (no personal profile details given) but Australians do not need a visa for Argentina, only Brazil - even if you are going from one side of the falls to the other. You will need to check. I just used plastic bags for waterproofing over my camera bag plus a bag for my camera when we went near the falls - how wet you get depends on how close to the falls the driver decides to take the zodiac! Keep your bag off the floor of the zodiac too! Good idea to take waterproofing to the Devil's Throat as well because of the huge spray from the falls. The swifts that nest in the cliff walls there are just superb. Definitely a wide angle lens, but there are numerous butterflies, birds and depending on the time of year, plants in flower including orchids. So a macro is handy if you like to do macro. Probably your 100-400 would suffice for most opportunities if you don't want to lug your 500 but you will be using your wide angle most of the time. If you stay on the Argentinian side you are not permitted along the falls at night because of the jaguars! So facinating place to go. Have fun. Cheers.