PDA

View Full Version : Yes, it's a Gnu...

Steve Kaluski
07-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Taken a while back and on reflection I would have changed quite a few things if I had shot now. I thought I would post it as I was really impressed with how 'fit' these animals are, great physique and hope this might illustrated the point?

Taken mid morning, hence the harsh light. I kept the top part of the BG in as I felt it needed something to break it up?

Steve
MKII 500f/4 1/1600sec ISO100 -1/3 comp (HH, FF)

BTW Don't get me wrong, I didn't fancy the WB by my description. :D

Hilary Hann
07-14-2010, 04:18 AM
Steve, these animals are certainly worthy of a portrait, rather than the usual stampede. Shows the interesting conformation of the animal, a very healthy one at that, and nice to see the eye. Fine with the background as is, but may have preferred a slightly less dense band at the top. DOF is attractive and love the tail swish.

Harshad Barve
07-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Excellent image Steve
TFS

Ken Watkins
07-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Steve,

There is nothing wrong with Gnu's (except their alternaive name)

Lokks a little too shiny to me, but it is still nice.

Steve Kaluski
07-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Lokks a little too shiny to me, but it is still nice.

It's called a 'sheen' Ken, horses have it too. :D

Grant Atkinson
07-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Hi Steve, I like this as posted. The BG is neither here nor there for me, you could leave or crop. I like the strong shapes of the face, the horns, the tail swish, and also those bold vertical lines on his neck. It is a strong shot of a good specimen. TFS
and by the way, somebody in the Photography forum needing some advice from 1Dmk3 users
cheers
Grant

Ken Watkins
07-14-2010, 08:22 AM
It's called a 'sheen' Ken, horses have it too. :D

Did you give it a groom especially for the picture:p

Morkel Erasmus
07-15-2010, 01:54 AM
these guys are underrated photographically...and I have proof of that which cannot be communicated right now ;)

nice portrait here Steve, like the sheen and with Grant here that the BG could be cropped or left. I understand that you leveled to the line in the BG but it does seem like he's leaning a bit to our right...

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2010, 02:17 AM
I understand that you leveled to the line in the BG but it does seem like he's leaning a bit to our right...

Hi Morkel, it's the POV/Perspective combination, but will leave it. ;)

Hendri Venter
07-15-2010, 10:45 AM
They are very photogenic and we tend to ignore them. Great image Steve.

Steve Canuel
07-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Handsome animal. I like the detail, colors of the coat, and the texture in the grasses.

Nico Steenberg
07-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Great sharpness and comp. Super IMG !