PDA

View Full Version : Blue on Blue

Hilary Hann
07-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Photographed late last year at Port Lincoln, nothing between me and Antarctica. Great White Shark country, but beautiful seas.
30D; EF24-85mm @ 75mm;ISO 400; 1/500; f8

Does this sort of landscape work? No point of interest per se, just layers of blue with the breaking waves. Interested in your thoughts. Of course a shark, dolphin or whale would have been an advantage. :)

Tim Munsey
07-14-2010, 02:55 AM
Is this South Africa? I broke my back in these seas if so, but avoided the great whites. Great set of blues!

Hilary Hann
07-14-2010, 02:59 AM
South Australia.

Did you really break your back? Are you ok now? :confused:

Tim Munsey
07-14-2010, 03:04 AM
Yep I did and yep I'm fine now, just a freak wave while out looking for whales. Should've hung onto the boat rather than my camera :D

Rob Miner
07-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Hi Hilary, As I look at your picture I seem to want something more in the picture - but can not make up my mind. What about a picture of "Waves" by cropping the sky out and increasing the depth of the picture. Just some thoughts, I tried to make this a picture for me, not change your picture by adding something I thought up. I think that this picture has merit and would welcome a chance to shoot it in variations.

Rob.....................

Hilary, check out the post in this forum that just preceded yours "Corn Fields." Although the shot is with a different lens - it gives the feeling that I was trying to explain.

Roman Kurywczak
07-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi Hilary,
Yes, I think it can work....but more of an abstact or seascape lacking the strong focal point. I do have a few suggestions......are the whites blown in your original raw? If not, go back in and bring out as much depth as you can in the waves/foam.....this will just help the overall appeal. I do think you should crop off the top (1/2 to 2/3).....the clouds on frame edge take away a bit from the blue on blue presentation....even though they mimic the waves.....being so close to the edge I feel they detract. I think tweaking this will help make this a keeper!

Hilary Hann
07-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks Rob & Roman, good suggestions which mirror my feelings about the image. Gives me ideas for when I can reshoot. I fins the abstract landscapes harder to succeed at. :)

Bob Miller
07-15-2010, 03:47 PM
HI Hilary.....I agree with Roman's suggestions to crop and try to bring down the whites! Looking forward to your next post!:)