HH
converted in CS4

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4682125322_3dbf798f82_b.jpg

All comments welcome -

JP

Roman Kurywczak
07-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Hey John,
Very nice thought with the B&W conversion....but I will offer you a few tips you may want to try. First....mostly due to BPN BG color.....put a thin black border around the image....right now the ULC is bleeding into it.....so the border will prevent that! I like your comp overall and while the building on the right may not be my favorite...they really don't affect the image that much....although toning them down may help.....which brings me to the conversion.....you may want to go back and see if you could pull out more tonal range in the sky or minimize the brightness of the ULC.....then getting more of the tonal range in the boat and grass on the left.....will just take this up another notch. The tonal range of a B&W is extremely important....so eeking out whatever you can will only add depth and drama to the overall scene. Making some of those tonal tweaks will really make the strong comp shine!

Dave Mills
07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi John, Nice comp with a strong center of interest. Good advice above by Roman.
I took the liberty to play with the image. I cropped the sky and filled in some detail in the blank areas. I brought up the grasses on the left FG and cloned out the building on the far rt. I also burned in some of the water areas. I did it quickly so please excuse it not being perfect...

Hilary Hann
07-13-2010, 08:06 PM
John, like the idea of what you've seen here but agree with previous posts. The biggest thing I noticed was the lack of tonal range and feel that the contrast is too high. If I were printing this in the dark room I would use a less contrasty paper. Dave has managed to get quite a bit from the clouds so maybe the tones are there to extract elsewhere? I can just imagine the tales that old boat could tell. :)

Dave Mills
07-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Hi, Just a note... I didn't pull the detail out of the existing image but created it by grabbing pieces from the existing detail...