PDA

View Full Version : Lily Leaf

Jackie Schuknecht
07-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Shot this with a white BG and some texture showed through so I filled in the BG with white. Flipped to vertical because I thought it was more interesting. NIK darken lighten center used.

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: Canon EF 100mm F2.8 Macro USM
Dimension: 3888 x 2592 px (10.1 MP, 3:2)
Focal length: 100 mm (equiv. 162 mm)
Aperture: F32
Exposure time: 1/3.3" (+1.67 EV)
ISO speed rating: 400/27°
Program: Aperture-Priority AE (Manual)
Metering Mode: Evaluative
White Balance: Auto
Focus Mode: Off (Manual Focus)
Noise Reduction: On (Mode 3)
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Roman Kurywczak
07-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Hey Jackie,
Well I like the comp with the curve and twist of the leaf.....very effective and I do like it against the white BG as it just simplifies the overall presentation. Interestingly enough though, I have debated why this one doesn't work for me overall as I liked both of those elements???.....lookking at what you did in PP'ing.....I am wondering if you should treat this more like a B&W.....not convert it......but eek as much tonal range and depth that you can out of the textures and veins of the leaf.....make sense? I think accentuating the curves with more dramatic light will help this image shine.....so if I get a chance I will give it a go......let's see what others chime in.
PS Had time......I do think you can get better results in the field....with light and reflectors.....but heres a take on it. Mostly lvels and B/C layers on seperate parts....upper and lower 1/2.....throw in a bit of dodging and burning. While not as dramatic as I would have liked.....I think it improved it but let me know your thoughts.
Nice to see you venturing to f32 too:D!

Mike Moats
07-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Hey Jackie, I really like the subject comp. White background works well. Good details.

Julie Kenward
07-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Jackie, outstanding artistic eye on the comp of this image...you really made a simple leaf look like a work of art. I do think Roman's pp has brought it up to a whole other level and this is exactly what separates the "good" images from the "great". Your leaf image is only a small bit of work away from reaching its full potential!

Jackie Schuknecht
07-14-2010, 12:39 PM
I like what you have done Roman. You give the greatest critiques and are so generous with your time. I think I can duplicate your effect, although I might de-sat and darken a bit. Like how you brought out the texture.

Thanks Mike and Julie.

Anita Bower
07-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Lovely! I like the simplicity, the white BG, the composition. I like Roman's pp additions. Would like to see the bg just a bit whiter. Very, very nice!