PDA

View Full Version : Black Beauty

VinceRossi
07-13-2010, 09:26 AM
I took this picture using my 75-300 zoom. It was cropped and worked on in Photoshop for fianl adjustments in Camara Raw.

Nikon D500
8-15-2009
1/200
Aperture Priority
F5.6
ISO 200
300mm
75-300mm lens
Pattern

Roman Kurywczak
07-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Hey Vince,
I want to point out a few things for you to think about next time out in the field: I do think that you lens is fine for macro but do also consider an extension tube to add to the equipment list....very effective of allowing you to get closer to the subject. There are a few discussions on them in the photo gear forum. In this case.....gettting closer wasn't what did you in but your angle to the subject.....yes they move fast but getting a better angle on the BF and eliminating the BG distraaction would have helped this immediately. I spend more time looking at possible BG's than I actually do at the subject.....this in the field assesment will help you concentrate on which direction is best to photograph so the BG's don't detract. Judging by your specs, it appears your blacks were blocked up and you opened them up in PP'ing. The finer details are missing.....but as these guys are quite fast.....could be movement also! I think if you take macro....with a step, by step approach....you will find that it will quickly improve. First....watch your BG's for distractions......chose an angle that minimizes/eliminates most of them. Use as high of an ISO as you dare!....this allows you to add SS when windy or more dof....but there your position to the subject can greatly minimize that. Keeping the subject parallel to the sensor plane will greatly minimize DOF fallof and yet keep the BG nice and soft. It is often a fine line we walk in macro between SS and DOF.....knowing your BG and how it will affect the image is the first huge step in getting more control. Finally....I use manual mode.....to control what I want to expose for even more.....but I have seen many people use AV succesfully....so not as critical as some other things in macro.
Hope this makes sense!

VinceRossi
07-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the advice roman. I will check into the extnsion tube.

If you are in central NJ maybe we can get together. Email if you want some contact info.

Thanks

Jackie Schuknecht
07-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Good advice from Roman Vince, just keep practicing!!! and practicing...and practicing.....:)

Ken Childs
07-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Vince, Roman's advice is good but I'm not sure about the extension tube unless you're fast with the manual focus. I've tried using tubes for this kind of shot but gave up because they really slow down the auto focus and decrease the DOF. They can help with subjects that aren't constantly moving so if I'm specifically trying to get shots of something small that isn't likely to be moving a lot, I may attach one.

Roman, I'd like to hear your take on this. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Roman Kurywczak
07-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Vince, Roman's advice is good but I'm not sure about the extension tube unless you're fast with the manual focus. I've tried using tubes for this kind of shot but gave up because they really slow down the auto focus and decrease the DOF. They can help with subjects that aren't constantly moving so if I'm specifically trying to get shots of something small that isn't likely to be moving a lot, I may attach one.

Roman, I'd like to hear your take on this. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Nope Ken....you are correct on the degree of difficulty going up with tubes......but I always manual focus my macro's....so I'm used to it after all these years! If you need AF......then stay away from the tube!

PS Finally getting instant e-mail notification....yeah!!!

Ken Childs
07-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I always manual focus my macro's
I'll manually focus when I'm using a macro lens but usually I rely on auto when I'm using a tele lens.

Anita Bower
07-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Vince: You have received good advice, especially the practice, practice, practice. I would add: keep posting your images to this forum. You will see your images improve.