PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe profile

Hilary Hann
07-13-2010, 03:59 AM
30D; 70-200 @ 200mm; ISO1600; 1/2000; f9.5

This male reticulated giraffe shows a fine set of horns.

Grant Atkinson
07-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Hi Hilary, I really enjoy this shot, strong comp, liked the BG, and the good use of DOF to split BG and giraffe. One tech question, just on the use of the high iso?
How did you get this perspective? It feels like you are walking along with him, on another ones back
cheers and tFS
Grant

Sabyasachi Patra
07-13-2010, 05:22 AM
Same question as Grant. Why the high ISO especially on the 30D. Ofcourse if it is running, you may try a higher shutter speed. Composition is fine. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Marc Mol
07-13-2010, 05:24 AM
Like it also Hilary, good separation with the DOF here. Would like to know also your perspective with this shot?
TFS

Ken Watkins
07-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Hilary,

Another vote for finding out how you got this perspective.

Because of the POV this is a very interesting image.

Harshad Barve
07-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Excellent image for all reasons said above and same question from me too
TFS

Hilary Hann
07-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. As far as the POV goes and as far as I remember, we were driving along a ridge and the giraffe was feeding on the slope down from the road.
OR
I have very long legs
OR
I was riding another giraffe (as suggested). But I think it was the first.

ISO ... I'll check the sequence of shots on my computer but I think we had been shooting BIF and I forgot to change. Now that I'm using Artie's custom
function suggestions I'm hoping that won't happen so much.

I must admit that at times I struggle to remember exactly why I chose particular settings, given that this was taken 2 years ago. Makes me seem very dim. :o

Alfred Forns
07-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Hi Hilary ISO wise I would set manually to your needs Not sure if your going to start using auto-ISO?

Amazing quality for the high ISO in that camera, you did well post processing !!! Position wise just wished you could have had all hill bg? Mighty fine image, vantage point does it form me !!! ... also I like you think you were riding another :)

Steve Kaluski
07-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Hilary, I think this is one of your best, as stated above, good separation, I like the strong colour of the Giraffe juxtapose to the soft, gentle colours of the BG and the overall simplicity. Some nice colour & detail in the subject too. However, not wishing to 'approve' doctoring of images, however i just wonder if tinkering with the top lh corner might help the image? Just a thought. Still like the overall image.

TFS
Steve;)

Hilary Hann
07-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Al & Steve, had thought of removing top lhs but thought I'd get some views 1st. Trying not to over attack my images because it is helping me get my eye in prior to my next trip. I'm not averse to pp (as evidenced in earlier posts) but it can make you reliant on ps to fix things.

Not planning to use auto ISO, Al .... just still haven't mastered the quick change of settings which is needed in the field. Next time.

Appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Hendri Venter
07-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Very interesting image and it works soo well. Love it.