PDA

View Full Version : My Back Yard

Hilary Hann
07-13-2010, 01:59 AM
Not quite, but just around the corner. Vineyards in the autumn mist. I left the OOF foreground vines on purpose because I felt that they anchored the landscape with their hint of autumnal reds. Not my usual kind of landscape so not so sure about it (no sky! :confused: ) but one always learns more when out of the comfort zone.

20D; EF70-200 @ 200; ISO800; 1/350; f4 Taken in 2006 … I probably wouldn't shoot it this way nowadays but we live and learn and I must say that I've seen this kind of shot taken by other photographers with a far better results.

Roman Kurywczak
07-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi Hilary,
Well.....I think you composed this just fine! I am usually not a huge fan of things OOF in the FG....but you 1. kept it minimal 2. used it wisely as a nice framing element. It balances the fog very well. The tree is placed perfectly in the frame with just the right amount of the vinyards peking through the fog. The mood of the fog in the vinyards is the star in this image....you have done it justice! Very nicely done.

Robert Amoruso
07-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Hilary, I agree with Roman but like the OOF FG less than he does. I would have tried a slightly different perspective, perhaps moving right, not had the OOF FG but still kept the rows in a diagonal (that and the tree placement are perfect).

Dave Mills
07-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi Hilary, you captured a nice mood with strong diagonal lines. Agree that the tree placement is well handled and I would of taken an image more to the rt also. I tend to lean towards not including the OOF foreground...

Hilary Hann
07-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not a fan of oof fg either but thought I could get away with it. Agree with comments about moving to the right.

Don Railton
07-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi Hilary

I like this a lot...even with no sky..! Nice mood with the fog blending into the vines. Not sure about the OOF foreground, so I did a bit of pseudo editing with the scroll bar and I think my choice would be a crop just above your name. I prefer some foreground to none.

DON

Hilary Hann
07-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks Don, that oof foreground is divisive isn't it? There wasn't anywhere else I could stand to get the shot as I was driving home in a storm and saw the image I wanted, stopped the car and took a series from the side of the road. In hindsight, I should have stood on top of the car (and dented it! :) )

Jackie Schuknecht
07-13-2010, 08:02 PM
I like the fog, and leave the real techs to the experts, but a VG attempt, and I think you were going for mood. (Also do you have a guest house:))

Hilary Hann
07-13-2010, 08:15 PM
I'd love to have a guest house and host lots of photographers, I'd learn so much and would have fun! :p