PDA

View Full Version : Balloon festival tips

Beth Goffe
07-12-2010, 09:23 PM
So, next week a NJ airport will host its annual balloon festival. Any tips on shooting the early morning ascension and as to what lens might be the best to use? The only short lens I have is a 17-85mm on a 40D. It won't work with my Mark 3 and I'd prefer to use that body - I'm willing to rent one. Thanks in advance for the help!

John Platt
07-13-2010, 02:33 AM
Beth -

Get there early, most of the flame action occurs before first light.

Ask if you can shoot the inside of the balloons, they are incredibly colorful from the vent end (the flap at the top of the balloon)

Don't forget to shoot the people, I did not shoot any candids and later some of the best shots my photog friends took were those of the workers in dynamic situations.

Once the lift off occurs back up and isolate with a telephoto, look for pleasing patterns to form in the sky.

Forget the chase and go straight to the landing area, touchdown can turn into a real rodeo quickly!

I included a link of a couple of last years shots, I did not post many but it was a fun time...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jps_view/sets/72157622360189205/

Best Regards,

JP

Jim Michael
07-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Everyone will show up before sunrise and most likely a pilot briefing will be held. After that the crews will unpack the balloons. They will use fans to inflate the balloon as it lies on the ground. Near the end of the inflation process is the best time to get a shot inside the balloon. Balloon pilots are always looking for ground/chase crew, so you can ask around to see if any need your help. Who knows, you might be offered a flight in return. Following the cold inflation they will start firing the burners to stand the balloon up and prepare for departure. This should occur not long after sunrise. The the balloons will be given permission to depart in some sequence that minimizes risk of interference with each other, e.g. the most downwind might be released first. If you are close to the balloons the wide angle lens is going to be essential. Have fun & post some images.

Beth Goffe
07-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks very much for the input and links to the photos! The festival will be allowing photographers and press to a practice launch the morning before the festival opens to the general public so I'm going to try and get there for that. Due to the lack of light I'm guessing you were working with a tripod?

Stuart Frohm
07-13-2010, 07:54 AM
You have received superb tips from others. Here are a few additional suggestions from a photographer who also has been a volunteer ground crew member. Wear cotton rather than synthetic (flammable or prone to melting) clothing due to possible proximity to burners. Have a pair of thin gloves if you want to volunteer to help hold balloons' lines as a volunteer member of the ground crew. Do not step on the balloon fabric.
If you are serving as ground crew, plan to concentrate on being helpful and on following directions, rather than on both shooting photos and being ground crew during the same launch or balloon recovery period.

Alfred Forns
07-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi Beth Would rent a wide angle 16-35 At the widest end can shoot at a slow shutter speed and still make a sharp image plus the saturation will be excellent !! Hope you get some clear blue skies for the event and do get there early !!!

Roman Kurywczak
07-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey Beth,
Excellent advice given above......but the quick check balloon festival you are talking about.....tends to be a huge zoo! While you can do ok at the event.....make sure to get there early....or they start busing people in.....and believe me.....that happens rather quickly! Even the photog/press one gets crazy!! They usually launch at sunrise......so yeah, SS does become an issue but the dark illumination B4 launch can be fantastic!
If you really want to do baloons.....the smaller events are 1000 times better. Same airport does a summer solstice one every year......less balloons, but easier acess and even ability to get inside shots and very close to the action. If you check specific airports (think small ones).....many have airshows or balloon events quite often......these allow for better images and access.
Good luck and get there earlier than you even planned!

Beth Goffe
07-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks again, everyone! Roman, I think I'll try your suggestion for the smaller festivals. The Quick Check one has lets photographers and journalists in on Friday morning before the festival opens but I think I'm going to have to skip it anyway due to timing.

Ed Cordes
07-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Beth, every Labor Day Dansville NY, about a 6 hour drive for you, has a nice festival. You could take Jet Blue to Rochester and then rent a car for a 1 hour drive. I have gotten several good images there. As others mentioned getting there early or some time before the evening lift off on Sunday of Labor Day weekend. It is a smaller festival so it offers pretty good access. Here is a link to an image made a few years ago early in the evening. http://www.ecordesphotography.com/natures_vision_013.htm I like the "Christmas Tree Ornament" appearance to the balloons.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-14-2010, 07:42 PM
They had an evening session when I was in New Mexico, where they start up the burners and fill up the balloons. Can make some nice night shots. I used the same combo you have. (40D and 17-55) I think Al has good advice about renting as noise would be an issue with the 40D. And yes early was early, around 4:30 am when they would send up the first balloon for a test flight if it was not too windy. I helped to set up a balloon and the crew lent me non-conductive leather gloves. It is quite an undertaking. Enjoy!

Joan Chasan
07-22-2010, 10:26 PM
if you go in the eveing when they light the balloons but don't send them up. (something glow I believe it is called). what advice to shoot at dusk when they do this.? lens, aperature. shutter speed. need tripod even if stabilized?

Jim Michael
07-23-2010, 06:04 AM
Balloon glow. The flame lights up the inside of the balloon. As the air in the balloon cools the pilot has to activate the burner to keep the balloon standing up. Definitely need the tripod. No flash. Use a wide angle lens. Use whatever shutter speed and f-stop combo that produces a sharp image. Only issues with time exposures are people moving (could be interesting) and potentially a stiff breeze causing swaying of the balloons - they have a large surface area but also a lot of mass due to the volume of air contained (e.g. 100,000 cubic feet for an AX-8). So you might be able to stop down a little for depth of field. If you have video capability, sometimes they'll fire burners in unison - try 180 degree shutter (2 x 1/frame rate, e.g. 1/60 sec when 30 fps) and appropriate f-stop. Sometimes they'll do tethers, where 3 ropes limit the vertical travel and the balloon flies up and down the limited space - good op for a shot upwards with burner firing. The burners are several million BTUs so put out a good bit of light.

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Great advice by Jim! Tripod a must.....as high of an ISO as you dare......and then play.....movement is almost expected as this situation and can be very cool! I did them in old ISO 100 film days with interesting results.....the ballons will definitely be lit!......rest debateable!