PDA

View Full Version : Winter Wren tip up

Dan Busby
07-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Pound for pound, these birds are one of the great vocalists of the northern woodlands. I came across this little guy while hiking across Bonaventure Island, Québec, to visit the Northern Gannet colony. It took a very quick setup and some fast shooting to catch this little guy in the open. Lighting was very harsh so I had to tone down some highlights.

Canon 7D, 500F4 + 1.4TC, ISO 400, 1/800 @ f6.3, AP

All c&c welcome.

Fabs Forns
07-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Great pose and HA, clean BG too. I find the contrast a little high, maybe due to the harsh light and the eye has a funky look to it.

Matthew Studebaker
07-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Well I have to start by giving you a hand for even photographing this bird at all. They are tough, and even tougher to get with a clean background. I have nothing usable on the species despite multiple encounters. The lichen on the perch is a nice tough. Overall it looks a pinch soft with harsh light.

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Really love the pose and cute perch in this image. It is a new species for me and it sounds like you were very fortunate to have captured this out in the open. Many thanks for sharing.

Michael Hogan
07-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Dan, Great capture - I would agree with Matthew, looks a bit soft. Some more sharpening might fix it. Like Matthew I have tried to get a good shot of these as they are very common around here, even have them signing in the back garden, but to no avail.

Well done

Michael