PDA

View Full Version : Cold, Wet, and Oily

Aidan Briggs
07-12-2010, 02:02 PM
This Pigeon Guillemot was found covered in oil sitting on a beach in Santa Barbara. About a minute after I took this it was captured and brought to a wildlife rehab center. I hope its doing well now.

85% of full frame. Levels and curves in PS. Handheld

50D, 100-400mm at 400mm
1/400 sec, f/5.6, ISO 500

Fabs Forns
07-12-2010, 02:07 PM
WOW, sad story, how did he make it all the way there?
As I understand, the First amendment has been cancelled around the spill and no pics allowed? IF anyone has info on this, it would be appreciated.
Thanks for sharing this, Aidan, hope this nightmare can be over soon!

Aidan Briggs
07-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks Fabs, I don't know if he made it or not. I don't think this was from the BP spill because their range doesn't extend that far. They do drill right off the coast here. You can see the oil rigs from the beach

Keith Carver
07-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks for posting this, Aidan. It's distressing to see this California oiled bird and we will undoubtedly see many more from the Gulf coast. I hope the rehab folks can get this one cleaned up and restored to health. An excellent portrait, nice BG and at the risk of anthropomorphisizing, the eye contact almost seems to say "help!" TFS!

Lana Hays
07-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Aidan
Just another reminder that "man is the only species on earth capable of destroying it". As much as I hate viewing the images......I still look....wondering how much more damage we can do. Well presented.

David Thomasson
07-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Aidan
Just another reminder that "man is the only species on earth capable of destroying it". As much as I hate viewing the images......I still look....wondering how much more damage we can do. Well presented.

I wouldn't assume that this oily little fellow is a victim of industry. A little historical perspective (http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/putting-the-gulf-oil-spill-into-perspective---natural-oil-seepage-from-the-oceans-floor-is-common/blog-334195/) might be in order.
Natural oil seepage in the Santa Barbara Channel was first recorded by Spanish explorer Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo on Oct. 16, 1542. He even used the tar from the seepage, known as asphaltum, to waterproof two of his ships, just as the native Chumash Indians did with their canoes. English explorer, George Vancouver, in his exploration of the Pacific Coast in 1792 while looking for the Northwest Passage, noted in his log book that the Santa Barbara Channel was covered in all directions with an oily surface so thick that the entire sea took on an iridescent hue.

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Hard to see these kind of images but a definite reminder of their fight for survival. Incredible detail and BG. Many thanks for sharing. Sure wish him well !@!!!!

Aidan Briggs
07-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Thanks everyone. David, it could very well be that this was from natural seepage. This particular area is known for it. Just walking on the beach you will get oil on the bottom of your shoes.