PDA

View Full Version : Kariba Sunset

Ken Watkins
07-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Here is my annual Kariba Sunset entry:D

Taken on Lake Kariba, whilst staying at Rhino Island, Matusadona NP, Zombabwe, 20th June 2010, from drifting boat.

EOS 1D MkIII

28-300mm at 150mm

F7.1, ISO 400, 1/80

Roman Kurywczak
07-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Hey Ken,
That was quite the sunset! I do like that you got tonal seperation in the tree silhouettes and the distant mountains but the reds appear very close to being blown out in a few areas.....so adding a bit of cyan there will only help. Lacking a strong focal point, in this one, the color plays a very large role.....so bringing out any additional tonal range that you can.....mostly in the sky....will only help strengthen the comp overall. I think the ripples in the water add interest to the FG as does the V of color.....fading on the edges does also. Tame the reds a bit and bring out some more depth to them.....and this one will go up another notch!

Dave Mills
07-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi Ken, great advice by Roman. I'm also pleased with the fact you can dillineate the sticks from the backround. They could have easily blended. The ripples do make the foreground but if possible would have liked a bit more detail or tonal variation(as mentioned) in the sky.......

Bob Miller
07-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Hi ken....Lovely image esp the ripples in the fg...I do agree the reds need some taming!

Harshad Barve
07-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Ken, This is a very beautiful sunset. I love the smooth texture in the image and the various hues that you have been able to record here. I love the sinuous undulations in the waves that lead me towards the setting sun here. Bravo !
TFS

Robert Amoruso
07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Good points above and I like this a lot.

My suggest is to also present this with the sky cropped down to just above the line of white clouds.

Tim Munsey
07-14-2010, 03:02 AM
On fire, extraordinary colour, must have been an amazing sight.

Tim

David Kennedy
07-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I would propose a crop from the right to eliminate the foreground water that was not hit by the same sunlight as the majority--the quality of the red drops precipitously, and I think it would be stronger to have that same tone edge-to-edge.