PDA

View Full Version : Lone Gemsbok

ken dyball
07-12-2010, 09:19 AM
After weeks of searching i finally found this Gemsbok in a interesting position, windy pockets in the namib Desert produce good photographic dunes, you just have to wait for wildlife to walk through it !!

this one made it to the finals BBC WPOTY

A Sandblasted Nikon D700, 300 2.8, F/10, 1/1250 ISO 400, Tripod Manfrotto fluid head, shooting into the light

www.africanatureimages.com

Harshad Barve
07-12-2010, 10:00 AM
wow , one dramatic image here
TFS

peter delaney
07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Congrats on getting to the finals, very dramatic , my kind of image .... I love it... I am in two minds if I want the gemsbok to be more upright/or to turn his head towards viewer......

I also played with crop, imo cropping from the bottom and a little from left and right this would elimanate the bush in FG, the 1/2 bush on left and would place your Gemsbok on thirds axis...

well done on a super image..

Morkel Erasmus
07-12-2010, 01:04 PM
can't help but agree on Peter's crop suggestion...amazing image and one I have been dreaming of getting in Namibia since taking up photography seriously (haven't been to the Namib desert since then though :()

great mood and story, congrats on getting to the finals of WPOTY!

Marc Mol
07-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Big congrats Ken on this fine Animalscape! Great mood depicted.
Would agree on the lower crop here also(for BPN), but was wondering if you are allowed to submit this as cropped for BBC final, as they require the RAW file?
How did that work? Did you submit full RAW, then show what you want cropped? ........Just interested
Would also like to know how the D700 handled the sandblasting, as not sealed quite as well as the D3/s?
TFS

ken dyball
07-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Big congrats Ken on this fine Animalscape! Great mood depicted.
Would agree on the lower crop here also(for BPN), but was wondering if you are allowed to submit this as cropped for BBC final, as they require the RAW file?
How did that work? Did you submit full RAW, then show what you want cropped? ........Just interested
Would also like to know how the D700 handled the sandblasting, as not sealed quite as well as the D3/s?
TFS
Hi Mark, the D700 was fairly good got a few grains behind the image scroll button but that was easly fixed

you are allowed to crop for the competition, not to much as you will lose quality, nothing was cropped from the sides so the width was the same size as original, for the finals you must send the raw (original as shot) this is so it can be checked for ovious reasons

Cheers

Hilary Hann
07-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Ken, lovely image. Glad I don't have to live in that environment … very harsh. Congrats on making the final.

Ken Watkins
07-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Ken,

I have not been up to the Desert for 7 years you have inspired me to return, as we are going to Etosha next year we might just make a detour.

ken dyball
07-13-2010, 03:02 AM
Hey Ken, i leave Sydney 10:30 tommorow first stop Namibia for a month then Kenya for 3 months :D:D:D

cheers

Ken Watkins
07-13-2010, 03:53 AM
Hey Ken, i leave Sydney 10:30 tommorow first stop Namibia for a month then Kenya for 3 months :D:D:D

cheers

Only a short trip, then:p

Marc Mol
07-13-2010, 05:32 AM

cheers

Enjoy, hope to catch up with you in the Mara come September.;)

Alfred Forns
07-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Big Congrats on making the finals Ken !!! One sweet image and well deserved !!!

DanWalters
07-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Like the positionof the subject and the sand blowing off the dunes. Great color as well.

Hendri Venter
07-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Brilliant!!!! You got the opportunity and grabbed it with both hands. Many congrats.