PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah

Hilary Hann
07-12-2010, 05:22 AM
Two cheetah, only one of which was out of the shadows. I know that he is centred but I wanted to keep his hind feet in the frame as well as the brother in the shade. I feel that his central location is ok here, as he is looking towards my right but interested in other thoughts.

7D; 300mm IS; ISO200; f4; 1/250 Late morning, Masai Mara, January 2010

Steve Kaluski
07-12-2010, 06:11 AM
I agree on your thinking Hilary, however as the two Cheetahs looked settled and not worried with your presence, could you have moved into a better position? They are quite tolerant, so if you got your shot here, I might have been tempted to move into a better position? Would have also increased your ISO for either a bit more shutter speed or increased your f to 5.6. I probably would have gone for more DOF to help detail, as the face looks slightly soft, perhaps another round of USM? Obviously shooting towards midday is not ideal as the light is harsh, but I feel you have got the best of the situation. I also like the inclusion of the second Cheetah.

Overall I think you have done well under the circumstances.

TFS
Steve;)

Hilary Hann
07-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Thanks Steve, on my next trip I'm planning to move the vehicle more to get what I want, however I'm still trying to be careful about going off road if not absolutely necessary. So under these light conditions I probably wouldn't risk the ire of the wardens by off roading … however if there were cubs or a kill I probably would have. :p

Thanks for the feed back on the DOF. Still not moving that ISO and SS/Aperture quickly enough but I've been practising at home on kangaroos so am hoping for a greater number of keepers on my next trip.

Steve Kaluski
07-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Well Skippy, off roading is not advisable as it can damage the environment and lead others to wonder freely, however with either kill or with cubs you have to be extremely careful and perhaps in those condition off roading is not advised, as 'comfort' zones tend to be greater for obvious reasons.

The more practice you can have the better as things become instictive rather than having to think.:D

Good luck.
Steve

Hilary Hann
07-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Indeed! ;)

Harshad Barve
07-12-2010, 09:59 AM
lovely eye contact here , nice to see some green colors, Cheetah is at TOP on wish list of mine ;)
TFS

peter delaney
07-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Agree with Steves observations... lovely image , hope you have an even more successful trip next time...

peter

Ken Watkins
07-13-2010, 03:51 AM
Hilary,

At least you had some light even if a litle harsh. We spotted our first ever Cheetah in Hwange at 06.00 there was some light by 07.00 but needless to say it jumped into a tree with the sun behind it.:(

Hilary Hann
07-13-2010, 04:01 AM
Ken, wildlife photography can be hard.....

Hendri Venter
07-15-2010, 11:20 AM
I like it as presented Hilary. Great sighting and image.

Hilary Hann
07-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks Hendri.