PDA

View Full Version : Least sandpiper

Grace Scalzo
07-11-2010, 10:50 PM
I've been having fun with the dozens of least sandpipers that are foraging on horseshoe crab eggs. Here's one from this evening. Such small, energetic birds, tough to get enough shutter speed to freeze them, especially when the evening light gets pretty but low.

1/800, f 5.6, ISO800

Canon mk4, 500 f4 (Minimal crop)

Hendri Venter
07-12-2010, 03:18 AM
I like the low angle, foot up pose and light. Lovely image Grace.

christopher galeski
07-12-2010, 04:18 AM
very nice Grace,good light,nice DOF,sharp,like the sand,for me I would like a bit more room on the left.thanks.:)

Stu Bowie
07-12-2010, 09:39 AM
The low angle works well, and I like the raised foot - shows movement. Good to see the soft light and warm colours, and overall nice and sharp. Well captured Grace.

Fabs Forns
07-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Very sweet soft light, nice strutting pose and good head angle. Food item? a plus. TFS, Grace.

Matthew Studebaker
07-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Nice one Grace. I like the raised foot, profile pose with headturn, low angle, and curves in the sand. I could see boosting the midtones (making the image brighter a little) and maybe turning down the reds in the image but it could just be my screen.

Grace Scalzo
07-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments. Matthew, yours brings up a question that I constantly have. In the very late evening on that beach, we often get a golden, reddish glow from the setting sun (especially if there are clouds above the sun) and the reds are very warm, to the eye and to the camera. So do I tone them down or leave as they are? Same question regarding brightness, really. Thanks so much for your expertise!