PDA

View Full Version : Lens Advice for Great Smokey Mountain Trip

Michael Pancier
07-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Besides my landscape lenses,

my 17-40, 24-105, 24 Tilt Shift, and 70-200,

and my toy lens, Canon 400 5.6L, I'm debating whether to take my 500.

Is it too much lens for the wildlife ops I may encounter there or is it too much to carry?

Landscapes are my main objective there; rivers; streams; mountains; etc., but I'd love to get wildlife shots there too. In Shenandoah, I did well simply with the 70-200 2.8 and a 1.4x.

I'm driving up there, so airline limitations is not an issue.

This is my first time out there so for those experienced with the area (will be hanging out in Gatlinburg for 3 days; Blowing Rock for 3 days with drive up Blue Ridge Parkway through Ashville up to Otter Creek.

AJ Witt
07-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Michael, sounds like a FUN trip!!!! I was up there during wildflower season earlier this year for 5 days of shooting. The opportunities up there are endless. I would recomend taking your 500 and even a macro ring(s) if you have any. I was up there for a workshop with Rob Nunnington. The most important thing I learned is every lens you have is a tool and there are no limitations in what you can do with each tool. I found myself taking some macro shots with my 500 f4...something I wouldn't never thought of previously!

Enjoy your trip!

Harold Davis
07-13-2010, 05:25 PM
you are driving....it aint an issue.....take the dang thing!!!!!:D and have a great trip. should be a welcome break from all this heat!!!!!

Tom Hunter
07-27-2010, 04:28 PM
I went last year for the fall colors. I saw deer, hogs, bears, and elk. I used my Nikon 200-400 a great deal.