PDA

View Full Version : Andy Rouse Comments re 1DMKIII

Steve Ashton
03-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Just picked up on a thread in a UK forum which may interest Canon users. Im sure you are aware of Andy he must be one of if not the top wildlife photographer over here. I understand he has just changed to Nikon.

A member asked if he should buy a 1D III from a ebay supplier and his was Andy's comment

"Everyone knows my feelings on this but I will stick my neck out to stop you getting disappointed - there is no guarantee that this camera is fixed. reports from some say that the fix works, others say that it does not. I think that you would be doubly wasting your money.."

Canon must love this... the influence this gut will have to the average photographer is massive IMHO I myself am still at a loss as to what to do. But reading this type of comment from a guy of this influence cast a doubt on the viability of the Canon system at present.

Given the public bashing Canon are getting I find it amazing that no Canon staff are commenting. God help the resale value of the Cameras.

Also today I understand canon have issued a new doc re the problems but as yet I can't find it.

mikeojohnson
03-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Here is the Canon announcement.
Mike

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9068-9323

Ric Grupe
03-06-2008, 01:53 PM
It sounded like something Sony would say....I am disappointed...and very glad that I chose and got one of the last 1DMIIN's available for my first pro body.

Mike Dale
03-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Just picked up on a thread in a UK forum......

Can you provide a link to this please?

Steve Ashton
03-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Mike here is the link.... Andy has been getting a lot of abuse about his move to Nikon.

http://forum.warehouseexpress.com/message.asp?FTopicID=3963

Pete Woods
03-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Mike here is the link.... Andy has been getting a lot of abuse about his move to Nikon.

http://forum.warehouseexpress.com/message.asp?FTopicID=3963

Edited so as not to cause offence

Mike Dale
03-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks Steve.

Andy Trowbridge
03-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Funny how he moved to Nikon then appears on there stand at Focus on Imaging....

I think the move to Nikon may be sponsored by them......

and before anyone starts.... There is Nothing wrong with that ;)

However when he first got his 1D MK3 he was singing it praises, just seems strange that since his move to Nikon he has been very vocal on the 1DMK3 issues...

Well he is not the only one to change his mind on the 1DMK3.

Robert O'Toole said this on a Birds As Art Bulletin:

"I created about 2000 images; thanks a million Artie! Having given up 2 waiting list spots to good friends of mine in June I have had only had limited chances to use the EOS-1D Mark III since February. Aside from the easy changes like back button ( * ) AF, slow tracking, and 45 point AF the 5 different Mark III cameras that I have used have not been set up with my personal preferences. So far I have found that the AF system works great. I wouldn’t say the AF system is an improvement over the s EOS-1D Mark II N but I haven’t had any problems at all with the AF either. I would expect that with additonal time in the field and a personally- tuned EOS-1D Mark III that the AF system would be deadly. I am aware of the AF issues reported by many people including a few friends of mine. Though I might be flamed for voicing my opinions here I am just reporting honestly on experiences; your mileage may vary. I was able to look back at images made over the past year or so with my 1DSMKII and 1DMKIIN since I save copies of folders with intact deletes. I have found that the AF success rates with the MIII are similar to success rates with the other professional digital camera bodies (none of which are 100% on target). (AM note: Robert is far more skilled than I as a flight photographer and his percentage of sharp images are much higher than mine with whatever camera he is using—even mine…) My 1DSMKII in fact may have the best AF success ratio of all."<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Blake Shadle
03-07-2008, 04:02 PM

However when he first got his 1D MK3 he was singing it praises, just seems strange that since his move to Nikon he has been very vocal on the 1DMK3 issues...

From the way that everyone was talking about the 1DMk3 I thought it would solve world hunger...

When you're swinging in a tree, you don't want to let go of one branch until you've got a hold on another one (if you know what I mean)... and once you've got a hold on another branch, you can feel free to talk about how terrible the last branch was? ;)

Steve Ashton
03-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Pete, I was a very early user of the MKIII and at first my two bodies performed very well, it was only a few months later i started to notice a lot of focus problems in both single shot and servo. So l also changed my mind on the camera some time before the wed started to host all the information about AF problems.

One point to consider if he was not 100 percent sure of the D3 being able to deliver the goods he would not risk his reputation or income by using a sup standard system. My issue with this entire debate is Canons total lack of communication on the subject.

Steve Ashton
03-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Just one other point Pete... As a professional photographer I am not very inclined to publish to the world I am having problems with equipment and potential quality problems. What I may possibly do is tell the world I had a problem and solved it by making a business choice.

Mike Dale
03-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I had a lot of respect for Andy Rouse anyway, I've even more now, he's got real big ones!

Fabs Forns
03-07-2008, 09:27 PM

For the record, we spent some time with Andy in Bosque last November, he was still using Canon. We were discussing the advantages of having a zoom lens like the 200-400/4 VR for the type of work (wlldlife) that he does, and we had just switched to Nikon.

He told us he would try the D3 and if he liked it, he would switch.

If he got someone to sponsor, good for him. I'm sure his intentions were purely of convenience.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-08-2008, 01:57 AM
I am very happy that people like Andy Rouse are switching. It might put pressure on Canon. And any improvements will help all of us.

Having said that, I had read his blogs. He used to talk good things about the 1D III. Then he shifted over to Nikon D3 and his tone has become completely different. Artie mentions in his newsletters that he is a Canon Contract photographer. I believe that is ethical. However, we are not here to compare the ethics of photographers like Andy Rouse. People talk about Andy Rouse because of his photographic abilities. Lets just examine his photography and if we find something to learn, then lets learn that. If we find certain aspects of his personality, message etc not above board, then lets just ignore that.

I think people like Artie who are using the 1D III can comment on whether this cam is Good, Bad or Ugly.

Pete Woods
03-08-2008, 05:14 AM
Edited again to not cause offence

This is an interesting read.. http://photography-on-the.net/1DmarkIII/index.php#add

Mike Dale
03-08-2008, 05:58 AM
A lot of people thought the camera was the best thing since sliced bread ................ initially. Apparently he has now decided that his early impressions were mistaken and has now taken the decision to switch to an alternative. Full credit to him for being honest about it.

Alfred Forns
03-08-2008, 08:43 AM

Pete I don't think is fair on your part to single out Andy. At the start we were all singing praises. It was the greatest camera ever made !!!!!! When I got my firs two bodies it was evident there was a problem..... However it does take a little time for the shock to wear off. Some take longer than others

I shot with Andy last Nov at Bosque and he was thinking of the switch. Btw his main point was the availability of the 200-400 lens and reports he had seen on the new (not out) D3. He was not happy with the AF but did not hear him say bad things about the camera in public. Just the normal it did not focus on this one etc

He had a lot at stake and weight his decision. The bottom line is having the best tool for the job and Nikon was it !!! I have no doubt Canon will take care of the problem. Just wish they had gone about it in a different way. Not knowing all the ramifications is not fair for me to say

JH Tugs
03-08-2008, 09:47 AM
There are comments above that seem to question if AR was paid to move to Nikon. I have no idea, but he did say this in the warehouseexpress thread:

"For years and years I have made Canon millions of pounds and for years they have ignored me. And most other photographers apart from the contract ones who are paid too - Nikon don't pay any of us by the way."

That suggests, at least, that he wasn't paid by Canon, and he isn't paid by Nikon. So unless somebody else has ponied up some green for him...?

Pete Woods
03-08-2008, 10:02 AM
I have since had dialog with Andy and he has positioned his move and I can see why he had to move to Nikon.

Andy has not tried a Blue Dot MK3, so all the comments Andy has made are on early and fixed models.
At this moment in time Andy has no intention of trying a Blue Dot. He is rightly consentrating on his photography.
And in his words "In fact I am hoping that I will not be testing any more cameras again ever as it is too much hassle."

Alfred Forns
03-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the update Pete !!!!

I know that Andy was motivated by need He wants the best to suit his shooting btw one thing that impressed me by Andy is how good he is at in camera cropping !!!