PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bear

Rachel Hollander
07-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Still in Alaska but just back from Brooks Falls in Katmai National Park. I haven't finished processing but thought I would post a shot while I have internet access.

Canon 50D
100-400 at 400 mm
1/800
f 6.3, Aperture Priority
ISO 800
Exposure comp +1
Taken at 9:20 pm after it had been cold and rainy all day.
From an elevated platform overlooking the river and on a tripod, cropped slightly and BG darkened.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Rachel

Alfred Forns
07-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi Rachel Like the intense look and selected crop, water bg is good Mixed light is not helping much making the water sort of flat looking, should be easy to brighten up !! ... did well with the exposure Would check the point of focus, not sure the eye, nose area was selected !!! Looking forward to the next one !!! Love them bears !!!

Harshad Barve
07-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Alfred nailed the C & C here , looking forward to see more
TFS

Hendri Venter
07-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Great image this. Did you change the BG to B&W or is this what it looked like?

Hilary Hann
07-12-2010, 05:11 AM
Agree with Al, but also think that more can be squeezed from this. Often a danger when pp whilst still out on a trip is that the emotion of the moment stops us from assessing what the image needs. Perhaps when you are back home you can put this through the 'mill' again. You must be having a wonderful trip … bears must be wonderful to photograph. One day!

DanWalters
07-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Like that intense stare and the nice light. Also like the rushing water in the background.

Rachel Hollander
07-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. Al - the Af point is right on the bear's left eye. Here's another attempt at PP so that the water is not as flat. Thanks again,

Rachel