PDA

View Full Version : Pemaquid Light, Maine

Keith Carver
07-11-2010, 01:05 PM
This lighthouse on Pemaquid Point, Maine was originally built during the presidency of John Quincy Adams and has been renovated numerous times since. The point itself is a prominent feature of the Maine coast, primarily grayish metamorphic rocks that have been cut across by igneous rocks (white), folded and uplifted.

This photo was taken with a Panasonic LUMIX LX-3 P&S, ISO 80, 2.4 mm focal length, f/2.3, 1/1300 sec. Late-morning light, more harsh than I would like.

C&C appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
07-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Hey Keith,
Self assesment on light was very good but I am more surprised you don't have people in the scene!!!.....it can be quite the waiting game to get one w/o people! I do think you should have gone vert.....this would have done a few things.....minimize the shadow side of the rocks and allowed you to get the front of the puddle and rocks in the frame.....further accentuating the lines of the rocks.....now the specs.....even HH'ing.....sacrificing SS for more f-stops would be the way to go! ......easily get 3 more stops of DOF. Just some things to keep in mind for next time out.

Dave Mills
07-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi Keith, I feel you framed the comp well(maybe a bit more room on the bottom) getting in a good reflection. Your right about the light being a bit harsh. I've been here and find the light later in the afternoon to be the best. The clouds set a nice backdrop to the lighthouse.

Keith Carver
07-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Very helpful comments, thanks. Roman, the repost is a vertical comp that shows all of the reflecting pool; unfortunately the reflection is not as good as in the horizontal comp. In this one I selectively darkened the sky by using a linear burn at 35% opacity. I'm not sure whether I like the horizontal or the vertical comp the best - what do you think? ••• I usually shoot using either a 7D or 1DM3 and am just getting used to this tiny Panasonic LUMIX LX-3 P&S with its minature controls. Will remember to up the f-stop and reduce the SS the next time I'm at Pemaquid Point, and will try for either early morning or late afternoon light.

Roman Kurywczak
07-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Hey Keith,
Water looks darker in the repost as do the shadows.....perhaps the CP? A tiny step right......would get the top of pemaquid in the opening of the reflection pool....just another thing to keep in mind when you re-visit. I do find afternoon best for the rocks.

Robert Amoruso
07-13-2010, 10:01 AM
I like the horizontal best Keith. Use a wider angle lens to get more FG in the horizontal, go for better light and use hyperfocal distance at f/22 and that will be the ticket here.