View Full Version : Leaf

Ian Cassell
07-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Canon 30D
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
1/100 sec f/16 ISO 160

Julie Kenward
07-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Ian, can you tell us a bit about the image...why you took it...what you like/don't like...so we can help you out a bit.

Roman Kurywczak
07-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey Ian,
Well.....perhaps not the most beautiful.....but I do like the contrast of the green and the brown with good sharpness throughout. I do find the pattern in the BG takes away a lot of the impact as it competes with the lines in the front. The light is nicely handled with perhaps a few small tweaks on the LR & UR edge of the leaf....to get a bit more seperation from the BG. A few tweaks on this will go a long way.

Ian Cassell
07-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks, folks. I actually think it's quite pretty, Roman, but I guess there's no accounting for taste. It was the contrast between the dead segment of the twig and leaf and the live segment of the twig and leaf that attracted me. I agree that I should clean up the BG .

Julie Kenward
07-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Ian, I wondered if that's what attracted you to this. I used to be hung up on those little nature nuances as well and sometimes still am. Just make sure you get as clean an image as possible and watch the angle - this one here leaves me feeling confused about the "flow" of the leaf from end to end. Perhaps a different angle would have helped, too.

Ian Cassell
07-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks, Jules. Yes, little things grab me sometimes. I'm going to clean up the background, as previously suggested, and see if it helps the 'flow'.