PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite Falls

Alma K Bailey
07-11-2010, 11:22 AM
We had a nice visit to Yosemite last week only a short one but I had a chance to get a few photos of the falls. I like the look of the walk here and the people down in the right hand side to show the wonderful size of the mountains..

This is hand held
Canon EOS 40D
f/8 @ 1/160
ISO 100
24 mm

All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Keith Carver
07-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Nice composition of an oft-photographed scene, Alma. I like including the people to help the sense of scale. If you have it in the ORIG, you might try including a little more sky and a little less FG grass and walkway. It would be wonderful to see this in either early-morning or late-afternoon light. TFS!

David Thomasson
07-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Nice placement of the falls. I kept envisioning two variations on this, so I'll post both without comment for comparison.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/138/yosemite.gif

Hilary Hann
07-12-2010, 05:37 AM
David, you are too clever. Fantastic way to let us see some variations on a scene. I like both re-posts for different compositional reasons.

Roman Kurywczak
07-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Alma,
As always.....David show us a few cool option with the image......my favorite being the walkway on the right more......which brings me up to in the field since it appears you visit often.....Keith is correct on the light/time of day......having been there numerous times myself, I know how quick the light changes there....especially this time of year! I think repositioning yourself to get the walkway more to the right and going more vertical.....would even further strengthen the comp. Just some things to keep in mind for next time out.

Dave Mills
07-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi Alma, The image has some good compositional elements. IMO David's placement of the walkway helps to balance the image better.
Another possibility(on the original) is to crop the large tree off the rt which would move the walkway over to the right.
I don't feel the people are adding much to the image....

Alma K Bailey
07-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Thank you all so very much for all your kindness and comments, I do so love the replacement of the walk way, very nice indeed.

We were on our way up north on the 5 and it was congested so my husband said lets take a drive a 300 mile drive, lol, but it was so worth it, we did arrive late in the day , so the light was alittle bright, but I took my chances to get a few photos in hopes of something good. We so love Yosemite, its only a days drive from our home and so worth it.

Thanks again, to you all.

Alma

Bob Miller
07-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Hi Alma....i prefer no walkway myself

Don Railton
07-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Very interesting...

I agree with Roman in that I like Davids option of the walkway to the right as it leads me directly to the people and then onto the falls... the people were less obvious in the OP, but I feel they do add to a sense of scale. My second option is the 'No walkway' however all three are fine captures, but I would wish for more dramatic light however...

DON

David Thomasson
07-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Just as a footnote, I moved the walkway to that particular spot because it suggests a line that
converges with the line of the waterfall. In its original position, the line of the walkway carries
the eye into the woods on the left.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/2244/yosemite2.jpg

Jackie Schuknecht
07-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Like it with the walkway moved over. Lighting looks a bit harsh.