PDA

View Full Version : Liberty with Planes

VinceRossi
07-11-2010, 10:34 AM
My First post on Landscape I usually hang out on Eager to learn.

This was modified using PhotoShop CS4.
It was a very hasey day, alomost like fog. I had to do some adjusting to get the brightness where it is.
There was a lot of items (boats etc) in the picture that had to be cloned out.
In the original picture there was only one plane. The others was inserted by using copy and paste.

Canon EOS Rebel T2i
06-18-2010
1/500 sec
Aperture priority
F9
ISO 100
165 mm
75-300 Lens
Pattern

Check out my blog www.vnsphotography.com (http://www.vnsphotography.com) comments welcome.

Alma K Bailey
07-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Vince,

I like the bright planes the the softness of Miss Liberty, The parks are nice and the old building in the bg make the photo sweet with Ms. Liberty standing out for all to see her.
You have done alot of work here it sounds and it was worth your effort. I like your photo. Nice July 4th kinda picture.

Thanks for sharing..

David Thomasson
07-11-2010, 04:39 PM
That's pretty as a post card, Vince. I adjusted color with curves and a couple of selective
color adj. layers. There's a slight, dark spot on the left side of the statue; not sure what
caused that, but I cloned it out. Does this need a slight CCW rotation. I added one, but now
I'm not really sure. [EDIT: For reasons I don't understand, I'm seeing the image I posted and
also the same image, downsized a little, below that and marked as "attached." I know that I
only put the image in once. Does anyone know why it is duplicated?]

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5250/libertyc.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
07-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Hey Vince,
Welcome to the forum! I am going to copy this thread to the travel forum because that is perhaps where it belongs more......or even OOTB......but I will leave it for now so I can comment.
Not sure on the rotation.......as it looks like Lady Liberty is now leaning in David's repost......but I do think he cut through the haze a little more effectively. I am debating the overall sharpness but given the f-stop and distance.....may just require another round of USM. Now, the composition.....was this on land or from a boat? I ask because I would have preferred the planes flying towards the statue instead of away.......just would work better IMO but I don't really want the houses on the left more......so repositioning to the left and aiming back would have been the way to go. Lastly.....the light here is very harsh......while the lower light level will make shooting a bit more difficult.....especially if this was off a boat.....but you would get more details in Miss Liberty if the light angle was better......going vertical to eliminate the distractions left and right would also help....but being a Jersey boy myself....I do realize the traffic jam out there may not have allowed you to do anything about many of those issues......but the light is within your control so you need to take advantage of it with either earlier or later light. Looking for ward to seeing more of your posts.