PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon Male Breeding Plumage

Jim Fenton
07-11-2010, 09:21 AM
The males have distinctly blacker beaks than the females during this time of the season and this guy and my kayak drifted quietly in fairly close proximity to one another for a good head shot.

At firs, I thought I would have liked a bit more of a turned HA, but I never would have gotten as much as I did in the field of focus as this was shot at very close range.

BTW...the little things that look like "repeated patterns" in front of the bird are not..they are simply reflections on the wavelets in front of the bird as it was moving.

The other thing I noted while spending a lot of time carefully studying these birds through the binoculars is that in the correct light, they have a definite greenish / cyanish cast to the face and neck are...but only in the right light and only if you don't bury the blacks.

Crop may be a bit tight for some, but due to the patterns in the surface of the water, I couldn't come up with a realistic looking fill and I kinda like the eye being close to the center anyway.

Rather than processing in Nikon NX2 as I typically do, the RAW was converted in CS5...ACR seems to be doing a better job these days with the latest version.

Nikon D300s, 300f4 AFS handheld, TC14EII, ISO 500, 1/500, f5.6, NearUniWB, CW metering -1.0 EV

Keith Carver
07-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Very nice head portrait, Jim, great detail, HA and BG. You're right about the cyan-green cast to the neck band in certain lights - quite beautiful and subtle. You nailed the EXP, good detail in the breast feather whites. I like the crop just fine. Congrats and TFS!

Fabs Forns
07-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Quite lovely, we are going to Maine soon ands only hoping we can get nice images of Loons in breeding colors. Great EXP and colors, profile is good enough for me :)
ACR is really good now, I love their noise reduction and new Shadow/Highlights!

Randy Stout
07-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Jim:

Very nice with excellent exposure. HA is perfect for me on this shot. Really like the little details such as the upper necklace feathers projecting out from the neck, don't believe I have ever seen that before. The ripples add a bit of texture to the image.
Def. agree about the green sheen, I am always happy when I capture that. Angle and light has to be just right.
Interesting observation about the males beaks being blacker. I haven't heard that one before. I will look back at my yodeling pictures, since only the males do that, and check the bill color.

I have seen a number of birds with grey/dull bills, but didn't connect that with sexual dimorphism.

Cheers

Randy

Randy Stout
07-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Quite lovely, we are going to Maine soon ands only hoping we can get nice images of Loons in breeding colors. Great EXP and colors, profile is good enough for me :)
ACR is really good now, I love their noise reduction and new Shadow/Highlights!

Fabs:

In my area, the adults retain their breeding colors until about mid August, and then they start to molt. Usually around the bill first, then spreading back. I would guess it is similar in Maine.

Cheers

Randy

Ramon M. Casares
07-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Stunnnig shot, light, detail, exppsure, low angle and species. Lovely image overall. Congratulaitons!

Stu Bowie
07-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Great portrait, and I like the exposure, detail and colours. Water droplets always adds interest to an image.

stuart wanuck
07-11-2010, 11:08 AM
very nice esp hh

Jim Fenton
07-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Randy..

Up in my neck of the woods, females absolutely yodel as well.

They rend not to do it with chicks around as it draws too much attention.

Joe Senzatimore
07-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Love the crop. makes for a super portrait of a stunning subject.

Sid Garige
07-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Exceptional details and exposure Jim. Great composition.

Dan Busby
07-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I like it as presented Jim. Most has already been said but this is a very up-close examination presented in fine detail. Your control of sharpness, exposure and detail is perfect.

Hendri Venter
07-12-2010, 03:08 AM
A stunning image and so well presented. Fantastic image quality.

Michael Zajac
07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Great exposure and spectacular details.I like the red eye and the water drops.