PDA

View Full Version : Blue Remembered Hills

Ken Watkins
07-11-2010, 04:47 AM
With apologies to the late Dennis Potter (from the days when BBC made great drama)

A view across Lake Kariba, taken whilst staying at Rhino Safari Lodge, Matusadona NP, Zimbabwe 22nd June 2010.

EOS 1D MkIII

28-300 at 100mm taken from drifting boat

F7.1, ISO ISO, 1/2000

Dave Mills
07-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi Ken, Nice soft and tranquil scene. Good placement of clouds along with a subtle reflection. I might give the image a small CW rotation. A contrast adj or S/H might also give the clouds a bit more pop

Roman Kurywczak
07-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Hey Ken,
Perhaps not the strongest landscape (lacking a strong focal point)....but pleasing because of the shades of blue and the cloud adds a great deal of interest too. If you scroll, you will see that this needs the CW rotation. I also like Dave's idea of a contrast boost or even S/H adjustment will bring out more depth.....but you do have to be careful there as those tweaks may change the mood drastically. Making those few tweaks will just make this image stronger.

Harshad Barve
07-12-2010, 07:03 PM
wow , what a cool place this is Ken , loved it , excellent advise above
TFS

Ken Watkins
07-13-2010, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the kind advice and comments, I tried the S/H route and it certainly seems to work.

Roman Kurywczak
07-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Hey Ken,
I had to put it up side by side with the OP to see the difference.....but it is there! The CW rotation definitely shows. If you still want more punch in the cloud......lasso just a part of it and do a selective color layer......go to the whites.....remove black......you should see a difference in about 30 points of black removal....if you want that look. Just another thing to play around with. Nice job implementing the suggestions!

Robert Amoruso
07-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Ken,

Unlike the post after this one (I am going backwards in the posts), I suggest a cropping off of more water at the bottom.