PDA

View Full Version : Spider with prey

Kaushik Balakumar
07-11-2010, 02:56 AM
This image is a focus stack tried in PS. With bugs/insects, it is difficult to keep all the frames aligned even though we use a tripod. This gave me a difficult time while post-processing the image (stacking).
I do realize that despite focus-stacking, I still don't have the entire subject sharp (should have clicked more frames to bring the legs in focus).

Techs:
Nikon D300 + Nikon 105mm VR micro + tripod
f/16, 1/13, ISO800, mild off-camera flash from left to fill-in.
Cloning, cleaning up of stacking artifacts.

Critiques welcome.

Jerry van Dijk
07-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Hi Kaushik, I think you did an excellent job on the stack. I don't mind that not everything is in focus, it gives the image a more realistic look, while you managed to greatly improve DOF. Excellent details, lovely BG and I like that a lot of web is showing. I'm amazed that you were able to get images for a stack from a spider handling it's prey. They usually move around a lot.

Julie Kenward
07-11-2010, 07:39 AM
I bet this was a bear to pp! My goodness what a lovely image you have here. The front wing on the fly is the only thing I'd really care to see even more focus on; the web is absolutely stunning! Fantastic work here, Kaushik!

Bob Miller
07-11-2010, 09:39 PM
I Like it alot...oof legs do not bother me at all.

Roman Kurywczak
07-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Hey Kaushik,
Very well done with the stacking! Extremely difficult to get this sharp front to back.....and I too like where it goes OOF.....gives a nice bit of depth. You know my preference for tight crops.....so a bit off the top would work better for my tastes....but all in all very well done!

Paul Lagasi
07-12-2010, 02:12 PM
This is a winner...beautiful work, pp..sharpness...wow..

paulinev
07-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Incredible - I hope I can achieve this one day! The slight blur added some mood and mystery for me.

Thomas Herou
07-18-2010, 03:14 PM
It's not easy to stack macros,I know!
But this is beautiful work,Kaushik!
I've given up this method with live bugs and uses high f/numbers instead.
Maybe I'll try again seen your fine photo!:)