PDA

View Full Version : Sentry

Ken Watkins
07-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Found this Chacma Baboon watching out in the treetops besides Lake Kariba, taken whilst staying at Rhino Island, Matusadona NP, Zimbabwe, 21st June 2010.

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand-held from drifting boat.

F6.3, ISO 400, 1/2000, EV -0.33

Steve Kaluski
07-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Hi Ken, having the Baboon set against the sky really makes him 'ping' out, good ploy. Would be tempted to crop quite tight, loosing a chunk from the lhs, as the foliage doesn't really add much. Viewing it on the laptop, so can't really comment on colour & detail, but looks good from here.;)

Steve

Hilary Hann
07-11-2010, 03:54 AM
Brilliant sky in this image and like the pensive look of the baboon. I like Steve's repost for composition. Looks like Rhino Island delivered the goods, wasn't this the place you stayed at some time ago and took a really nice sunset? Could be mistaken.

Ken Watkins
07-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Steve,
I was not at all sure about the crop and looking at your repost I think I got it wrong there is just too much "look into" space in the OP.

Hilary,
We stayed at Rhino Island at roughly the same time last year, it is firmly established as our favourite lodge, not necessarily for animals and birds but atmosphere (the views are not bad either)
I am working on some sunsets at the moment.

Steve Kaluski
07-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Ken, cropping is a very personal thing and very subjective. With hindsight it is easy, or with a fresh pair of eyes, no problem, glad it helped.

Trust you had a good trip, hope to see the Trip report at some point and Helena had a good time too.:):)

BTW Andy is on good form and Carol makes some mean Vodka jellies!!!:D

Steve

Rachel Hollander
07-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Ken - Like this a lot and Steve's crop takes it over the top. Great capture of really expressive eyes.

TFS,
Rachel

Alfred Forns
07-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Hi Ken Lots of detail and love the feel Crop wise do like taking some from the left, might just leave a little more to see the entire branch coming down !!! Excellent !!!

Harshad Barve
07-11-2010, 09:33 PM
lovely light , great details and pose , sky in BG is just too good , excellent image
TFS

Marc Mol
07-11-2010, 11:51 PM
It's the great lighting Ken that makes this, with Steve's crop just right.
TFS

Ken Watkins
07-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks for all of the comments, but the real hero here is the Baboon, and the fact that there was little if no cloud on the day in question.
The rest of the trip in particular Hwange was marred by daily dull grey cloud cover (just what is going on with the weather?)

DanWalters
07-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Like the warm light and the sky makes a great background.