PDA

View Full Version : Japanese lotus early morning

Jay Sheinfield
07-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I was shooting birds, when I saw this image. The flower was about 25 ft away. I'm not keen on the shape of the stem, and not sure about the leaf at the bottom................looking for feedback....................

Nikon D3s
ISO 800
850mm
1/1000 sec @f/5.6

Kaushik Balakumar
07-11-2010, 02:30 AM
Beautiful soft light on the flower. Nice colours. Needless to say that the long lens has given a fine bokeh.
For my tastes, I would retain the leaves in the bottom.
However, I wish there was some separation between the stem of main flower and the larger bud (the one on the left).

Jerry van Dijk
07-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Hi Jay, I love how the light catches the top of the flower and how you positioned it in the frame. I'll second Kaushiks remarks about the stem crossing the bud. I think with or without leaves could work either way. Without them, you'll end up with a very 'clean' picture, which some may prefer.

Julie Kenward
07-11-2010, 07:37 AM
What a beautiful lotus image, Jay! It's so rare that we see one without all the water around it. I also like the leaves at the bottom. I think it gives a sense of environment so we know it actually IS a lotus. I can also see it without them, though. Yes, it's always good to get some separation between the stem and other buds if you can...but I think you did very well considering the crook it takes.

Lovely exposure and lighting. I hope your birding images came out this nice!

Jay Sheinfield
07-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback...............given the lens, this was the only angle of view I could muster. Good feedback on the bud touching the stem......I could clone it out, but just doesn't feel right. I'll leave the leaves in...........I wasn't that fortunate
with the bird images, unfortunately.

Jay

Roman Kurywczak
07-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey Jay,
Agree with comments regarding the bud and stem......but sometimes it just isn't to be! The long lens gave you a great BG and the light is just great. Can't add much....so just giving my really nicely done!

Jay Sheinfield
07-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Hi Roman,

Thanks, I agree the about the long lens. In this case, there was no shot without it.

Jay

Anita Bower
07-15-2010, 12:43 PM
In this case, the leaves at the bottom of the image distract me from the lovely flower. Lovely soft light and composition. The stem over the bud does not bother me. Very nice work!