PDA

View Full Version : Another Herring gull

Richard Stern
07-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Late in the day on Brier Island. NS recently. I would be interested to see how people think this compares to the Herring gull image I posted the other day, as well as the usual c&c.

Camera Model: NIKON D70s
Lens: 300.0 mm f/4.0+ 1.4TC.
Focal Length: 420.0mm (35mm equivalent: 630mm)
Aperture: f/10.0
Exposure Time: 0.0005 s (1/2000)
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: -1.00 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Light Source: Unknown
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

Richard

Randy Stout
07-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Richard:
I like the clouds in background here. Some sharpening effects/halos, esp. along the leading edge of the birds right wing.
Some noise showing in the darker underwing areas. I would like to open up the shadows a bit there, but the noise may be a worse issue then.
I like the framing/comp.

Cheers

Randy

Alfred Forns
07-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi Richard Image does appear a bit funky Sort of like it was lighten a lot? With that pose and going AV -1 will produce an under exposed bird every time !! Problem with most of those is that we want to conserve the pretty sky but its tough !!

Dave Blinder
07-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Richard - Nice timing on the gull. It would be helpful to see the original unedited image to advise on optimization.

Richard Stern
07-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Hi,

Thnks for all the comments - which I agree with, after looking more critically at the image. Here's the original - re-sized from the .nef file and saved as a jpeg with no other post-processing applied. As you can see, I had to crop++ and do some lightening and NR. I had underexposed by 1 stop, to avoid blowing out the whites.

Richard