PDA

View Full Version : Black Rhino Reflection

ken dyball
07-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Late one night at a floodlit waterhole in Etosha NP this Black Rhino headed down for a drink then a late night swim before vanishing back into the darkness

Nikon D700, 400mm 2.8, 1/13 at f/2.8 ISO 6400, cable release, Gitzo tripod, Tungsten Mode

www.africanatureimages.com

peter delaney
07-10-2010, 02:11 PM
nice image Ken,

difficult shooting in flood light conditions , I would have perhaps cropped so subject is not placed in centre and to loose the dark band on top LHS...might not be as sharp as it could be...

Morkel Erasmus
07-10-2010, 02:19 PM
knew this was Etosha from the thumbnail Ken - and despite my relative closeness compared to you I have yet to visit this magical place :(

lovely reflection and details for the high ISO, your techs are superb - this is where a 2.8 lens really shines I would think.

I would crop some of the dead space from the right - place him more off-centre...

Marc Mol
07-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Yep, one look at the thumbnail said Etosha.
Great use of a 2.8 lens and the D700 high ISO capabilities, with a beautiful reflection to enhance, well done Ken. I do agree also on a crop from the right.
TFS

Ken Watkins
07-11-2010, 12:00 AM
The floodlit waterhole is of course Okaukuejo, probably the best place to sight Black Rhino in the world!

Our record is 13 at one time.

I would prefer an off center image, but at least shooting at night has eliminated the harshness, you normally get.

Did you try taking in colour and then eliminating the red cast?

I have always found it easier to use a beanbag on the low rock wall at Okaukuejo as it gives you more scope to move around.

Alfred Forns
07-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Just keeping the animal of center !! Did great with the light and like how its presented !!!

Harshad Barve
07-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Excellent image for all reasons mentioned above
TFS

ken dyball
07-12-2010, 03:42 AM
Thanks Guys, for the comments & suggestions, i think i shot more off centre images than centered but i keep coming back to this one, just personal preferance i geuss!!

Ken thats a lot of Rhinos 13 that would be awsome to view their behavior

Cheers

DanWalters
07-13-2010, 10:20 PM
The BW makes this a very dramatic image. Really like the reflection as well.