PDA

View Full Version : Jutted Rockscape

Morkel Erasmus
07-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Another shot from our weekend early in May 2010 on the South African Highlands Meander. I really wished for some clouds on this morning...but not to be. Had to test out my then newly acquired 7D/10-22mm combo...

Tried to make the most of the scene at hand.

All comments most welcome!

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 12mm
f11 @ ISO-100
Circular Polariser
Blend of 3 exposures using Luminosity Masks...

Dave Mills
07-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi Morkel, Nice light and I like how you balanced the extremes in lighting with good detail in the shadows. I studied the image for awhile and feel that the rocks on the right are so dominant and bright that they are becoming the center of interest. Would have liked to have seen more interest to where they were pointing the eye...

Hilary Hann
07-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Love the detail and colour in the rocks but feel that they overwhelm other elements in the image. Agree with Dave that some more interest to where they are pointing would have added to the finished product.

Roman Kurywczak
07-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Hey Morkel,
I have to agree with the others on the rock on the right......even though the light was still low and quite nice.....it just dominates the scene a bit too much. I do wonder what this would have looked like with the rock still not illuminated........then the entire FG area may have been easier to bring up and more closely balance the scene. I too am still looking for that on demand cloud machine;).......so far no luck. Finding the scene within a landscape often proves to be the most difficult!

Morkel Erasmus
07-12-2010, 09:01 AM
thanks for the comments Dave, Hilary & Roman...I agree with you...I have many different compos from this morning, will dig around and process some of the others. I did multi-shot panos of the scene to about 180 degrees around, maybe I'll get round to stitching them :D

Robert Amoruso
07-13-2010, 10:10 AM
The details in that rock face itself is a source of many images - focus on the detail when the bigger view is difficult to make work.