PDA

View Full Version : Albino Downy Woodpecker (I think)

Danny J Brown
07-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Attached is an image of the albino downy woodpecker I went after this week. I assume it is albino instead of leucistic because it lacks pigment all over the body instead of just the feathers. I'm confident that its a downy because it is far too small to be a red-bellied and its beak seems a little small for a hairy. Also, it was feeding with other downy woodpeckers.

I posted another version in Bird ID to get the lowdown from John Chardine and the gang on my (from the hip) assumptions. But how could I not share it with my comrades in F and F. Enjoy!

Jim Buescher
07-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Very unique image Danny, TFS. You did well in keeping the details on the white plumage against the dark BG. The red eye tells me you're probably right on calling it an albino.

Danny J Brown
07-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks Jim - I shot all of the images at -1/3 to -2/3.

DB

Alfred Forns
07-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks for posting here Danny Sure looks like one at least it is an albino !!

Julie Kenward
07-09-2010, 08:50 PM
That's so amazing to see one this close! I wonder if they sunburn?

Danny J Brown
07-09-2010, 08:59 PM
That's so amazing to see one this close! I wonder if they sunburn?

Good question -- maybe on their little legs. This guy is a real scamp though. He/She don't take anything off any other woodpeckers and even got in a fight with a squirrel today....but lost.

DB

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Wow that is an amazing image Danny. I have never seen an albino Downy before. Sure hope you will be able to keep track of this little bird. Many thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing more.