Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/80
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Flash Off
AF Mode AI Focus AF

I went out to a local reserve in the hope of getting some dragonfly shots, when I got there every single small pond had dried up and they were all on the large inaccessible lakes so I had to go looking elsewhere! These are very common in the UK summer and this is why!!:D Hope you like it as ever all comments welcome

Roman Kurywczak
07-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Hey Jonathan,
Great colors and light on this one.....the reds contrast nicely against the greens. Yes I wish the antennae wasn't in front of the rear soldiers eye but you can still make it out. You are really cutting it close on the DOF.....as the bloom next to the rear soldier is starting to go out....but the soldier appears sharp.....excellent jog keeping the focus where it needed it! I do think I would prefer this as a vert crop from this horizontal.....mostly because the negative space on the LLC drew my eyr when I first opened it......I do think cropping to the left of the stem up......and then 1/2 the space above the antennae on the right would make a bolder presetation.....more in your face......but that is my take on it and while it is a nice luxurey to have......this works very well as presented also. Just an idea for you to explore on this wonderful image!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Wow, nice timing !
Nice sharpness on the insect in front.
Any thoughts on rotating the image CCW 90' to make this a vertical image...?

Jonathan Ashton
07-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks Roman & Kaushik I did wrestle a little with the composition, and I did consider your suggestions at the time of posting, on reflection I think both would improve the image.

Julie Kenward
07-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Jonathan, the beetles are super sharp and nicely presented. As Roman mentioned, it would be nice to have more DOF as that front blossom right next to the lower beetle is already OOF and is distracting to me. I think a much closer crop all the way around would be how I would go - eliminating anything that didn't add to the image of the beetles.

Anita Bower
07-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Lovely colors! Especially like that orange-red against the cooler colors with the yellow as a transition. Sharp and focused. I might crop from left and bottom.