PDA

View Full Version : thumbnails not showing

John Hawkins
07-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Why do some of the thumbnails show and others do not?

Chris Ober
07-09-2010, 06:59 AM
There are still some things being sorted out after the upgrade and will be corrected as soon as time permits as more pressing issues are resolved first.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Thumbnails of photos hosted on BPN are seen but others not. Similar problem was there last month when the server upgrade was done. They'll fix it soon as they did last time.

One more thing....the thumbnails are not looking very nice. lot of artifacts. Its more prominent with the vertical shots as those thumbnails are larger. Thought I'd let know so that the right folks can look into it.

Chris Ober
07-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Yes, that what will be fixed in due time.

Thumbnail quality for verticals should be fixed now.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Chris, I see that the vertical shots' thumbnails have become smaller now. But I still see issues with all thumbnails. Specifically, what I see is halo around birds...kinda the sharpening halo. Lets wait and see if others are also seeing teh same thing. Keep up all the good work...already liking some new features.

Chris Ober
07-09-2010, 11:18 AM
The vertical are smaller now because they were artifically being resized to a larger size than they are generated at. Max thumbnail sizes are generated at 120 pixels on the longest side. The forum was creating the thumbnails at the correct size but then displaying them at 120 pixels width regardless of what the generated width was. This stretched them out and making the artifacts more pronounced. You're bound to still see some artifacts still in some of the thumbnails. Thumbnails aren't supposed to be be ultra high quality. It's a attempt at balancing storage required, processing and load time with presenting a decent enough thumbnail so it doesn't look like total garbage but you have a good idea of what the full size image looks like.

I re-saved an typical image to 120 pixels high with jpg quality at 75 and size came to 6.23k. The same image saved with 95 quality and the file size is >50% larger. With the many thousands of thumbnails (we currently have over 60,000) stored on the server, you're looking at a considerable chunk of added space and bandwidth needed to see prettier thumbs.