PDA

View Full Version : New BPN

Stu Bowie
07-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Hi All, I really like the new set up and features - well done to all involved. There is one feature Im sure someone can solve for me. I view BPN on my lap top at work, and on a separate PC at home. On both, my browser is IE. On my laptop, the thumbnails have a thick blue frame around them, and on my PC at home, they show as a normal thumbnail with no thick blue frame. Im confused, as why should they be different if Im using IE on both computers.

Desmond Chan
07-09-2010, 12:27 AM
So far, it seems to me BPN has a different look every time I come. :confused:

Is this still a work in progress?

arash_hazeghi
07-09-2010, 01:05 AM
not a fan of huge "mail" icons all over the place.

Lana Hays
07-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Is this the final "look" for the website? I'm having a hard time getting used to this and finding what I want. I know, I know......old habits are hard to break.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Arash, at the bottom of any page, you will see the pull-down for style. Default is the 'vb4 default style'. You can choose the 'BP-light' that has a different look with different icons.

Roman Kurywczak
07-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Hy All,
Probably not the final looks......did you know you can also customize the look? On the bottom left of the page....it says vB4 default style....you can pull down another choice to see if the look is better for you. As for IE......are both IE8? I had scrolling issues and layout issues similar. Keep posting feedback.....because the tweaks go on!!! Lana.....I saw on the top of the forum where they are working on an old look skin....stay tuned!

PS Kaushtubh beat me to it!

Alfred Forns
07-09-2010, 10:14 AM
So far, it seems to me BPN has a different look every time I come. :confused:

Is this still a work in progress?

... not final look Desmond :)

Mike Tracy
07-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Looks too busy but I am by nature resistant to change. Anyway to change the color scheme from ones control panel or plans to do so ?

Thanks for your efforts to improve this site whether they suit me or not.

Chris Ober
07-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Default style for first time is now BP-Light which is a bit less cluttered, easier to read, and closer to the original color scheme. If you already have VB4 as the default set, you can change by selecting the alternate theme at the very bottom left of the forums in the drop down list or under your Settings - General Settings - Miscellaneous Options - Forum Skin.

Danny J Brown
07-09-2010, 12:31 PM
BP Lite much better for my taste! Thanks KD.

DB

Norm Dulak
07-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Arash:

Try the "BP-Light" setting. It's cleaner. But does that mean less oil is used????

But my question for Chris Ober is where are the cute happy face icons? I could have used one here!

Norm

Chris Ober
07-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Smiley's are in the Advanced editor right now. I'll add another item to the list to get the drop down added to the quick reply box.

You can also enter the standard key sequences to create them
:) for the :)

Chris Ober
07-09-2010, 04:17 PM
For those of you that dont' like or want to see the "New" stuff on the right side, you have the option to hide it by clicking the http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/images/BP-Light/misc/tab-collapsed.png icon at the top, right-hand side of the section.

Norm Dulak
07-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Smiley's are in the Advanced editor right now. I'll add another item to the list to get the drop down added to the quick reply box.

You can also enter the standard key sequences to create them
:) for the :)

Thanks Chris. Hook 'Em Horns!

Norm

Rene A
07-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Chris,

I tried your suggestion "Hot Forum Threads" tried even to block it with "ad filter" in Firefox but it came back on the next start up of Firefox.

It should be a Topic & not cut down the viewing area by 20% on the web page.

James Shadle
07-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Is this the final "look" for the website? I'm having a hard time getting used to this and finding what I want. I know, I know......old habits are hard to break.
No this is not. Please read my note on the home page. Thanks!

James Shadle
07-09-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm looking at better icons. I don't care for the envelops either.

Jim Michael
07-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Congratulations on a seamless transition. I know that wasn't easy.

Hilary Hann
07-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Huge job and I have never cared about aesthetics of a site as long as content is rich and rewarding … which it is on BPN. I can navigate around just fine, so whatever the final version ends up, I'm happy. Thanks for all the hard work to all those in command! :D

Chris Ober
07-12-2010, 10:41 AM
That's a cookie setting. You'll have to either clear yours or allow cookies to be saved. I just repeated the result with firefox.
No, ad block won't work.

Chris,

I tried your suggestion "Hot Forum Threads" tried even to block it with "ad filter" in Firefox but it came back on the next start up of Firefox.

It should be a Topic & not cut down the viewing area by 20% on the web page.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Must have been a huge amount of work, and personally I like it. Seems very easy to navigate around now.

arash_hazeghi
07-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi guys, are you planning to include thumbnail generator for externally hosted images ?

Christopher Miller
07-13-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm noticing a problem with the top header in the BP-Light style. The attached screenshot shows the problem that I'm seeing. I'm using firefox. It looks fine in both the vB4 default style and the blue style.

William Malacarne
07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
If it is the placement of the Outdoor Photo Gear that you are talking about.
It is probably because your window is not wide enough to hold all three logos.

Bill

Axel Hildebrandt
07-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Hi guys, are you planning to include thumbnail generator for externally hosted images ?

Yes, it will be working again. In the meantime you could use the BPN server.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-13-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm noticing a problem with the top header in the BP-Light style. The attached screenshot shows the problem that I'm seeing. I'm using firefox. It looks fine in both the vB4 default style and the blue style.

Christopher,

The reason is that your browser window is not wide enough at the moment. I hope the problem with the header will be fixed soon.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I can appreciate how much time and effort is spent. I am on the other hand a fan of a simple look and would be happier with the old version.

James Shadle
07-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Yes, we are working on it.

James Shadle
07-13-2010, 09:10 PM

I will be fixing the BP-Light so the header displays like the other skins.

James Shadle
07-13-2010, 09:13 PM
I can appreciate how much time and effort is spent. I am on the other hand a fan of a simple look and would be happier with the old version.
Akos, I would have loved to keep the old style.
It would have saved me about 140 hours of design and setup. Unfortunately it was impossible to do so. VB 4.0 would not work with that skin.

arash_hazeghi
07-21-2010, 05:22 AM
So I am still having the following issues

1) data base 504 error, need to reset cookies with firefox all the time

2) thumbnails are not generated from external links

Thanks

Harshad Barve
07-21-2010, 07:30 AM
I am happy with this new looks , only felt previous smilies were better, Great job of behind the scene team

Ken Childs
08-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Overall I'm very happy with the new BPN. One minor tweak would make it perfect, IMHO. In other forums I frequent, the quick navigation links are repeated below the last reply in a thread, right next to the "reply to thread" button. In this thread it would be these links:
* Forum * Discussion Forums * General Photography Discussion * New BPN.
Is there anyway to have this line repeat after the last post in the thread?

There's the Quick Navigation button to the right but clicking on that opens up a long drop-down menu and requires a lot of scrolling. Instead of using that to get back to the forum I'm browsing, I usually click on the "top" button and then click on the forum name in the line mentioned above.