PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant

Austin Thomas
07-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi all,

Here is one from a couple of weeks ago that I never got round to processing at the time. As most will know these chaps go daft every so often and make an impressive call or statement.

Canon Mk4, 500mm plus 1.4x, f5.6, 1/2000. ISO800. - I must have been set up for something else !

Cheers

Austin

Keith Carver
07-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Nice moment caught, Austin - I assume he flew after this. Good eye contact and face detail, although neck and breast have a velvet appearance. Lovely BG with some noise showing at ISO 800. There is a distracting grass blade at front, but it would probably be difficult to remove it. Frame is just a tad tight for my taste. TFS!

Randy Stout
07-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Austin:

A good critique from Keith. I like the sense of isolation from the background, pose,head angle and eye contact. Having grown up in Iowa, where there are lots of ring necked pheasants, the colors on this one seem a bit oversaturated, but perhaps your version is more saturated than those in the states.

Cheers

Randy

Fabs Forns
07-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Love the 3D feel to this one, created by the OOF foreground and totally clean BG. Nice pose, head angle and eye contact.

Doug Brown
07-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I like the pose, sharpness, and crop. Do agree about the blade of grass in front of the wing. Saturation looks appropriate on my monitor.

arash_hazeghi
07-08-2010, 11:02 PM
beautiful bird! love the sharp head and details, nice environment too.

Stu Bowie
07-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Hi Austin, I like the startled look, together with the detail and colours on the head. Comp works well, and I like how the head stands out clearly from the BG.

christopher galeski
07-09-2010, 05:06 AM
like it nice colors and BG,good eye contact.thanks.

Grace Scalzo
07-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Great action captured...colors look rich and warm to me. I also think there is just a touch of humor in his behavior....very nicely done.

Bob Pelkey
07-13-2010, 09:04 PM
The ear tufts make this species especially interesting. I've been contemplating recording bird calls and hope you do the same. The only thing that seems unusual to me in your self criticism is the unnecessarily high ISO film equivalent based on the shadow on the bird indicating a higher sun. When viewing an image of any subject, it's nice to see full disclosure. Often missing is the time of day and location. The latter is especially important for my viewing enjoyment.