PDA

View Full Version : Windblown Wave Dolphin

Grant Atkinson
07-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mmf2.8is, f/length200mm, S/speed 1/1600s at f8.0, iso 250, handheld from a moving boat. Location Wild Coast, Eastern Cape, South Africa. June 2008, 14h15. Cropped from 10mp to 9mp. Older image, shot against the light, and had some badly blown highlights on the water. Cloned them out, also cloned out another dolphins tail entering the water in front of the airborne one. More work with PS than I usually do, BPN is teaching me how to use it:). Processed in ACR and PS. Dark BG is forest in shade, 2nd dolphin coming out of wave on rhs.
All C and C welcome
Grant

www.grantatkinson.com (http://www.grantatkinson.com)

Steve Kaluski
07-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Hi Grant, quite atmospheric and different. I like the colouring and different tones, however what is in the BG top quarter in the brown section?:confused: It looks really odd. Also wonder if it has too much sharpening applied and perhaps a fraction off the top?

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
07-08-2010, 02:38 PM
really like this one Grant...great mood, shooting into the light often works out better than we think. I agree with Steve and would crop to right above the highest spray for more focus on the action

Hilary Hann
07-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Steve, my guess is that the background you are pointing to is related to the forest which Grant mentions. Probably a bit of sun glancing off the branches. I agree that cropping off the top would add to the strength of the composition and would also reduce the effect of the trees. Easy enough to blend it a bit (as you have PS'd quite a bit already Grant :) ).

An image like this is crying out for the OOTB forum with some additional 'work' on it. Perhaps not for the purist wildlife photographer who can't bear to clone out a grass, but for those who want a broader outlook for their work it is a great way to extend yourself. I love the spray and the position of the dolphin. Quite a different effect achieved here.

Harshad Barve
07-08-2010, 10:43 PM
great moody image here
TFS

Ken Watkins
07-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Defiinitely would benefit from a crop from the top.

Marc Mol
07-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Great use of lighting here Grant, with the wind wave spray really enhancing. Agree on the top crop.
TFS

Grant Atkinson
07-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Hi Everybody, thanks for all the comments. I have cropped from the top and lhs as suggested, now left with 7mp, from 10 originally. Attached is the repost. Steve what you asked about was forest canopy catching some light. thanks so much for looking and commenting
It was fun shooting this, timing is everything...would likely be stronger if shot later in the pm, with gold backlight...maybe 2011 :D
cheers
Grant

Austin Thomas
07-09-2010, 03:22 AM
The cropped version is better Grant. Great atmosphere in this image.

tfs

Austin

Morkel Erasmus
07-09-2010, 08:55 AM
repost is on another level! also would love to see this with golden backlight in 2011 ;)

Alfred Forns
07-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Sure like the cropped version, all elements still there and subjects larger in frame !!! .. was just wondering about the sharpening? ...different and sweet !!!

Steve Kaluski
07-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Yep, far better Grant, still think the colour could be brighter/richer but might unbalance the composition? Agree with Al and stated also in my OP, still not sure about the sharpening.

Cheers
Steve

Grant Atkinson
07-10-2010, 06:10 AM
thanks guys, i might have oversharpened, i prepped for web in a rush...thanks again for commenting. I now have a better idea of what I should be looking at with the comp.
cheers
grant