PDA

View Full Version : Goliath Heron

Ken Watkins
07-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Taken on a river flowing into Lake Kariba, whilst staying at Rhino Safari Camp, Matusadona NP, Zimbabwe, 19th June 2010, from a drifting boat.

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand-held

F7.1, ISO 400, 1/1250

Stu Bowie
07-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi Ken, you bring heartache when you mention Kariba. Spent many a time there whilst I lived in "Rhodesia". I like the colours, and maybe a little selective sharpening on the head wont harm this. Pity he's flying away from you, although all my images of these guys are standing in water.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Hey Ken,
I think you got great light but the wing position....more than the HA isn't working for me. Yes.....I am impressed with HH the 500mm on the boat.....not the easiest to change angles or even reposition!....I usually prefer a parallel to slightly towards you angle....so even though sharpness and exposure is excellent.....those break the deal for me. Perhaps if the bird was flying towards something....to give scale or purpose? Let's see what others chime in.

Dan Busby
07-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Guess I'll have to come over and take lessons on HH with the 500! Very well done Ken. I really like the lighting and wing position. I can't say it wouldn't be better with the bird coming toward you but I like it anyway. You have a good show of the eye and good detail throughout.

Morkel Erasmus
07-08-2010, 02:09 PM
nice light and sharpness here Ken...pity he's flying away from you but this is better than any GH image I have...how did you find safari in Zim these days?