PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Contrast with Inverse Cuves

Fabs Forns
03-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Sometimes we make images where light is less than ideal, be it too strong or in the wrong angle. When images are too high in contrast, you can improve them a little bit by using the Curves tool in the opposite direction. It's called inverting the curve and here is one example:

Glenn Ehmke
03-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Well done pointing this technique our Fabs, much under-used I think. Ive used this technique a number of times, and I find it can also be good in harsh light situations when highlights are blown.

Julie Kenward
05-14-2008, 04:47 PM
I think I've inadvertently used this before but didn't know what it was I was doing or why! Now I understand what it can really do by dragging that curve the other way. Thanks so much, Fabs!

Robert Amoruso
05-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Reverse S-Curve. I use it all the time. You can go further up on the curve an pull the higher mid-tones down as well dependent upon the image.

Sometimes the image will get a little flat. May sound stupid since there is already too much contrast. I won't tweak the curve around once I like how the highlights have reduced and shadows opened up. So I will create a selective color adjustment and add black to the black and neutral channels. This increases inherent contrast w/o actually affecting the curve adjustment.