PDA

View Full Version : Chemung River and the End of the Rainbow

Ed Cordes
07-06-2010, 08:44 PM
This river crossing is about a 2 minute drive from my home. Last week we had a storm come through and anticipated a rainbow. A fast dash to the bridge revealed this scene in pretty good light. There is a faint second rainbow to the left of the main one. I thought it cool that the "End of the Rainbow" is in the image as you can see it in front of the tree and going into the water. Alas, no pot of gold!

7D with 17-40 @ 21mm. Evaluative metering at ISO 400 with F10 and 1/30 EV +1/3 on tripod with polarizer. Full frame processed in LR 2.7 and CS4 with Viveza 2 for tweaking.

Thanks for looking. C&C most welcome.

Robert Amoruso
07-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Always nice to capture those rainbows. Though I like how you composed it. I feel I would have put the rainbow further left in the image to balance the heavier right side out better.

I know you where on a bridge but if possible, a bit more of the island in the lower left would have been nice as now it feels more like (at least to me) an intruder into the scene than part of it. I also found the right side too bright and drawing my attention from the rainbow. I downloaded the image and did a curves correction (darken preset) and then a gradient mask (white on left to black on right) and that balanced the tones of the image well.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Hey Ed,
Robert pretty much echoes my sentiments....but I will offer this besides his PP'ing tweaks......do them and then go pano.....off the bottom. Just seems to flow/work better for me.

Ed Cordes
07-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks Guys. Good suggestions.

Dave Mills
07-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Hi Ed, Good capture of the rainbow and agree with Roman regarding the crop. The image does appear stronger....