PDA

View Full Version : Pink Rose #1 2010

Ed Cordes
07-06-2010, 08:33 PM
This is one of the roses my wife, Gail, loves to cultivate. I finally had a chance to make some images the other day.

7D with 24-105 at 105. Evaluative metering at ISO 800 1/60 & F8 EV + 1/3 on tripod with live view and 2 sec timer. BG is a dark mat. Full frame with an errant petal from another bloom cloned out of the top.

Thanks for looking. C&C most welcome.

Desmond Chan
07-08-2010, 12:27 AM
I like the colors, sharpness, and details. Personally, I prefer fewer leaves showing and the flower itself looks a bit bright to me. Perhaps some mid-tone adjustment could give the flower more depth ? Re the overall composition, I think it doesn't need that much room on the right hand side.

If this were mind, I would try a b & w conversion, too :D

Julie Kenward
07-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Ed, the rose itself is the beauty here so I would have to agree with Desmon on too much foliage and black area. I'd crop in tighter and let that rose shine. It's a beautiful exposure...but you might select the black bg and pull it down even further.

What a beaty of a rose. Would you ask your wife what it's called? I'd love to know!

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Hey Ed,
Really nice colors and light on the rose. In the field using either the plamp or clothespins...even use the 10 sec, timer and hold it yourself!.....to keep the rear stem and leaves out of the image would immediately take this up a notch. Yes you can clone/patch the black over them....and then crop as recommended above....but I prefer to do as little of that as possible. Good news here.....they are yours(OK Gails!).....so you can have another go at them.

Bob Miller
07-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Hi Ed! The Rose itself looks good to me but i do agree with cropping suggestions given!

Ed Cordes
07-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jules, the name of the rose is "Tuscan Sun". I believe Gail got the original from Jackson Perkins. This plant has been here for about 3 years.