PDA

View Full Version : Rest After A Mornings Teachings

Jim Fenton
07-06-2010, 08:29 PM
The lessons began before true dawn as mom would dive and bring them fish. As she moved them into shallower water, she would no longer feed them even at this early age, but rather she would tease them and then eat the prey herself.

Before long, both were disappearing below the surface and capturing small crayfish and feeding themselves.

Not quite ready to catch a speedy perch or bass, but that will come with time.

For now they are tired and content and protected by their mom.

Nikon D300s, 300f4 AFS, TC14EII, ISO 500, f9, 1/320, NearUniWB, CW metering, -1.3 EV applied.

Randy Stout
07-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Jim:

Very nice, with good DOF. Not always easy to get the family groupings to be sharp.
I really like the foot showing on the riding chick, they aren't seen very often.
Nice shooting angle too.

Keep them coming!

Randy

arash_hazeghi
07-06-2010, 09:03 PM
very nice Jim, excellent details and sharpness, good eye contact for both chicks and mom, chicks are so cute!

Danny J Brown
07-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Jim - This is my favorite of all of the loon shots so far because of the pair of chicks, the light on the loon that lets me see all of the feather detail, and the beautiful water that melts into bokeh. Great shot.

DB

Dan Busby
07-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Very nice Jim. The smooth water and BG really set the image off. Getting all three birds in focus and sharp must have required some patience which paid off. Good to see that both chicks seem to be happy!

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey Jim,
Great interaction and poses all around. No one mentioned any sharpness issues....so will wait till I take a peek on my other monitor.....only tweak recommendation is to darken the left chicks eye.....even though it was probably that way....to closer match chick on mom's eye.....make sense? Outstanding story and really sweet BG and details!

Stu Bowie
07-08-2010, 01:19 PM
A lovely family moment captured Jim, especially with the one on the back. Good low angle, and I like the overall exposure.