PDA

View Full Version : Shell Falls

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I just got back from two weeks in Wyoming in the Big Horn Mountains in North Central Wyoming. This image was of Shell Falls in Shell Creek Canyon in the Big horns right on Route US 14. It was late afternoon and the sun was covered by an approaching thunder storm. I hope you will all take time to look this over and give me your opinions as I can never improve without them. By the way I missed the setting on the Exposure compensation. Shooting info follows:
Nikon D3
2010:06:29 19:57:17
70-200mm @ 70mm
70mm (in 35mm film)
1/8 sec, f/22
Mode: Manual
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -2/3
ISO: 200
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 123MB
Image size: 1920 x 2400
Color space: sRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Roman Kurywczak
07-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Hey Mac,
I think you did very well! The light here was perfect and I like the way the greenery contrasts nicely with the rocks on the other side. You have to chose where to crop falls sometimes.....and again....I think you chose very well! My only recommendation to you is to lighten the lower section of the falls a touch....not much, I still want it darker as it is in the shadows.....but just a bit more. Very nicely done all around with this one!

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks Roman for your thoughts on this image. I attempted to lighten the lower portion of the falls and I am not sure one can tell the difference, but if I lighten them more they don't look quite right. I lightend them in Lightroom by slecting the lower portion and brightening them slightly. Would you suggest a better way? Thanks for your thoughts as I very much value your opinion.
Mac

Roman Kurywczak
07-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Hey Mac,
More than 1000 ways to skin a cat.....so no real answer....but I will offer this.....I took your OP into PS2 (yeah....sue me) I did 2 layers on the lower level of the falls....1 levels layer.....moving mostly the whites and mid tones.....and then 1 slightly smaller.....avoiding the brightest areas....using selective color.....adjusting the whites (reduce black)...and neutrals (ditto)...while increasing black. I could have done the same thing in the 1st adjustment......again...more than one way to blah, blah, blah.........As I sat back and looked at it...I said hey...selective color.....pick the greens....reduce the blacks 100.....voila! Every image is different...even if you ask me next week....I may take a different approach....but I will add this: the more you get comfortable with a few tools.....add one at a time.....the better you will get in PP'ing. That's my theory ......and I'm sticking to it!

Bob Miller
07-06-2010, 07:17 PM
HI Mac....very nice composition....Roman's repost has really taken this shot to the next level! I like it alot!

Dave Mills
07-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi Mac, Nice job overall with the falls. I like what Roman did with the image and subtly brought up the falls.
Good detail in the water and angle on the falls. I also think you chose a good crop since sometimes these can be tricky exactly where to cut off. Cloud cover is whats desired with this type of image due to no lighting highs and lows.

Robert Amoruso
07-08-2010, 06:10 AM
Mac,

I agree that you got the composition just right. Selective color is a very useful way to manipulate colors and tones in an image. As Roman demonstrated, just adding or subtracting black from a specific color can lighten or darken it. Also good way to remove a color cast.